Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-most-amount-money-you-have-put-into-making-quilt-t34784.html)

jjtripletmom 01-22-2010 06:23 AM

I'm still pretty new at this quilting thing. I am still consistantly amazed at how much money I end up putting into my projects.

dakotamaid 01-22-2010 06:48 AM

Well, I'm in the process of making a double wedding ring with batiks so I'll keep track and let you know! :D

Ninnie 01-22-2010 06:57 AM

Don't know, and not sure I want to know LOL
I would say it is around at least 150.00 but that is just a guess.

BellaBoo 01-22-2010 07:03 AM

I buy most of my fabric and supplies on sale and use scraps a lot so it's hard to tell the cost. I enter a quilt once a year in a local quilt show and that quilt usually cost me more to make as I buy all new fabric for it. Once you get a large supply of fabric, books, pattern, and tools, the quilt itself seems to be the least expense.

beckyw 01-22-2010 07:09 AM

I'm sure some people keep track of the cost. But do we really want to know.

k3n 01-22-2010 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by beckyw
I'm sure some people keep track of the cost. But do we really want to know.

NO! And neither does my DH! :shock: :lol:

Barbm 01-22-2010 07:26 AM

I'm making a quilt, bedskirt, shams and valances. It is over $300- but- it's more than just a quilt. It's my room. And I haven't bought anything in 10 years for that room. The bedspread is from the Salvation Army in the early 90s and the sheets were from my DD at college. So I think it's OK- divide it by the next 10 years and it's about $30 a year- so that makes it feel better. :)

Boston1954 01-22-2010 07:37 AM

My "Danbury" (queen sized)

Top fabrics 116.36
stamps and money orders 2.06
batting 31.80
backing 43.39
thread (about) 4.50
electric (for light, iron, and Singer)- unknown
gasoline - unknown

All told, it looks like close to $200.00 but it is hard to pin down, when trying to factor in things like electric.

Glad I don't own a business.

mpspeedy 01-22-2010 07:48 AM

I just spent $26 at Joann's yesterday buying halfprice clearance fabric to make Linus Quilts. I figure that was at least the backs for about 12 quilts. I am going to another Joanns today and look for more bargins. By the time I add batting and a top I will probably have about $10 per quilt. Never mind the cost of my machines, upkeep, electricity etc. etc. I always try and do as well anytime I buy fabric. I occasionally pay full price at a real qult shop. Just think of it as theropy. My husband dropped $350 for a set of "used" golf clubs which I believe he has actually played with maybe a dozen times in ten years. He also has a Harley. Enough said.

ladygen 01-22-2010 07:59 AM

I just signed up for one of the the Fat Quarter Shop's block of the month quilts, and by the time I'm done with it, I'll have spent at least $400 on fabric and shipping. I know I've spent at least $150 on each king size quilt I've made, and at least $80 on a small (but intricate) wallhanging.

And yeah, if you want to compare with the 'other half'... he has two airsoft rifles (at least $300 each), paintball stuff ($800 min), motorcycle, RC truck (also about $800), and the list goes on. At least what I spend money on *everyone* gets to appreciate!