Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are the names of these blocks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-names-these-blocks-t287502.html)

Laura in Montreal 04-13-2017 10:46 AM

What are the names of these blocks?

3 Attachment(s)
I need help with the names of these blocks.

Here are two photos of quilts I've made.

The first I've called "The Magic Blanket" because it was my little son's security blanket. I assured him that it would magically keep all his night time fears at bay so he could get to sleep. He used it until it got worn to a thread, and now I'd like to make a copy for his child. My problem is that I can't remember the name of the block.

The second I call simply "The Checkerboard Quilt" but it must have a more common name. It was what I call a panic quilt. I had just retired and found myself with a LOT of time on my hands, went into a slight panic, and made this quilt (hand pieced and hand quilted) in 6 weeks. A quick one, for me. I gave it to my 87 year old mother, in hopes that despite her Alzheimer's, she might remember who I am.

I guess there's a lot of emotion associated with some quilts. Sorry about that.
Any help with the names would help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]571479[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]571480[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]571481[/ATTACH]

Maureen NJ 04-13-2017 02:02 PM

I don't know the name but it looks like it is made up of 4 blocks wide by 4 Blocks high. Each block is made up of 4 kites and 2 quarter triangles. The main part of the kite (center) is a 45 degree angle because, if you look , two from each of 4 adjoining blocks, make a 360 degree Dresden-like shape. I think it would not be hard to figure out if you cannot find a pattern.

BrendaK 04-13-2017 03:51 PM

I will be watching this thread as I really like the quilts. I also would love to know the name of the first quilt. BrendaK

ube quilting 04-13-2017 04:10 PM

The second one is a single patch.

ube quilting 04-13-2017 04:15 PM

The second one is a single patch.

I have never seen the first one, very interesting.

Jingle 04-13-2017 05:51 PM

The first one is very pretty, don't the name.

Peckish 04-13-2017 09:05 PM

That first one is really, really cool! I've never seen it before. I hope someone is able to help you.

JanieH 04-14-2017 09:31 AM

I don't know the names of the blocks either but really like the first one and the magic of the story.

sushi 04-14-2017 03:36 PM

I love the first quilt, too. I'm usually pretty good at discerning quilt patterns, but this one has me flummoxed. I hope someone on this board can explain how it is made!

maviskw 04-15-2017 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by sushi (Post 7804622)
I love the first quilt, too. I'm usually pretty good at discerning quilt patterns, but this one has me flummoxed. I hope someone on this board can explain how it is made!

The first one has hour glasses in two corners which come together to form the pretty center of a larger block. The rest looks pretty complicated. I see large stars, which I think would be easier to see if those pieces were a different color from the hour glass corners. I'm flummoxed, too. Good luck on finding that one.

I love the colors in the second one. So simple, yet utterly beautiful.