Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What notions are a waste of money? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-notions-waste-money-t75472.html)

CompulsiveQuilter 11-10-2010 06:13 AM

I have a long list of things I wish I had not purchased, but my latest was the "bobbin tower" - what a joke!
I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!
Many magazine subscriptions were a waste for me, especially the ones without a spine so I can't even find them in my bookshelf!
I'm sure you guys have others - share before I make my Christmas list!
(P.S. the notion I love the most is my magnetic pin holder!)

donnajean 11-10-2010 06:17 AM

I try to avoid the unnecessary notions. You end up putting them away & forgetting you have them. I recently saw the Binding Tool. It appears easy to use, but I figure I've been doing fine without it, so it is a luxury - not necessary purchase.

sueisallaboutquilts 11-10-2010 06:17 AM

The only thing that really jumps out in my mind is the rotary blade sharpener. I finally threw it out. I can't remember the name but it was blue and not very expensive.

raptureready 11-10-2010 06:20 AM

I tried the pedicure toe separators for my bobbins and like them just fine.

The marking pens that come with the different colored chalk that's about 1/8" thick. They're red and Hancocks had them out a couple of years ago. GARBAGE!!! They're so hard they move the fabric, so soft they break easily. Tried the one that looks like an automatic pencil and I like it much better. The "press down in the center and twirl this around" circle cutters are a waste too.

Annaquilts 11-10-2010 06:22 AM

A pounce to stencil. I can't get it to work for me. I even bought a lot of the special stencils with it and I can not use those for other things. Some people love a pounce so maybe I am doing it wrong?

Well I am seeing people liking and using some stuff that others thought useless. Maybe time to sell some stuff?

LindaR 11-10-2010 06:28 AM

"press down in the center and twirl this around" circle cutters are a waste too.

now this I use LOL, I have probably 8 thimbles and have yet to find one I like better than the little leather pads...don't like the marking pencils either...a pencil works fine, have received lots of things from secret sisters that I could have done without

cjomomma 11-10-2010 06:30 AM

I would have to say my triangle templet was waste of money only because Rhondas easy HST's are easier and faster and fun to make.

BellaBoo 11-10-2010 06:32 AM

I can't think of any notion that I have that I don't use in some way. The Grace Co rotary blade sharpener is great. Pricey but I've already saved the cost in not changing blades.
I like most all the Clover notions. Their magnetic pin holder that has the center groove makes a big difference that you wouldn't know until you use it.

amandasgramma 11-10-2010 06:35 AM

The rotary blade sharpener mentioned above IS a waste.
I, too, have never gotten the chalk pounce to work right.....or at least, not work the way I want.

I love the bobbin winder --- I use it on the Longarm. That machines winds its bobbins but the needle goes up and down. This is BAD when you're in the middle of a quilt.

I LOVE the purple "thang"....it's been a BIG help.

Deb watkins 11-10-2010 06:36 AM

I agree about the pounce - marking with a pencil works so much better!