Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 23 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What notions are a waste of money?

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I have a long list of things I wish I had not purchased, but my latest was the "bobbin tower" - what a joke!
    I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!
    Many magazine subscriptions were a waste for me, especially the ones without a spine so I can't even find them in my bookshelf!
    I'm sure you guys have others - share before I make my Christmas list!
    (P.S. the notion I love the most is my magnetic pin holder!)

I try to avoid the unnecessary notions. You end up putting them away & forgetting you have them. I recently saw the Binding Tool. It appears easy to use, but I figure I've been doing fine without it, so it is a luxury - not necessary purchase.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    The only thing that really jumps out in my mind is the rotary blade sharpener. I finally threw it out. I can't remember the name but it was blue and not very expensive.

I tried the pedicure toe separators for my bobbins and like them just fine.

The marking pens that come with the different colored chalk that's about 1/8" thick. They're red and Hancocks had them out a couple of years ago. GARBAGE!!! They're so hard they move the fabric, so soft they break easily. Tried the one that looks like an automatic pencil and I like it much better. The "press down in the center and twirl this around" circle cutters are a waste too.

A pounce to stencil. I can't get it to work for me. I even bought a lot of the special stencils with it and I can not use those for other things. Some people love a pounce so maybe I am doing it wrong?

Well I am seeing people liking and using some stuff that others thought useless. Maybe time to sell some stuff?

Blog Entries
    "press down in the center and twirl this around" circle cutters are a waste too.

now this I use LOL, I have probably 8 thimbles and have yet to find one I like better than the little leather pads...don't like the marking pencils either...a pencil works fine, have received lots of things from secret sisters that I could have done without

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I would have to say my triangle templet was waste of money only because Rhondas easy HST's are easier and faster and fun to make.

Blog Entries
    I can't think of any notion that I have that I don't use in some way. The Grace Co rotary blade sharpener is great. Pricey but I've already saved the cost in not changing blades.
    I like most all the Clover notions. Their magnetic pin holder that has the center groove makes a big difference that you wouldn't know until you use it.

The rotary blade sharpener mentioned above IS a waste.
    I, too, have never gotten the chalk pounce to work right.....or at least, not work the way I want.

I love the bobbin winder --- I use it on the Longarm. That machines winds its bobbins but the needle goes up and down. This is BAD when you're in the middle of a quilt.

I LOVE the purple "thang"....it's been a BIG help.

I agree about the pounce - marking with a pencil works so much better!

I purchased a big metal T square for cutting strips and after cutting them I found out the marking measurments were off by 1/8 inch to much. Had to recut all the strips.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    I have a long list of things I wish I had not purchased, but my latest was the "bobbin tower" - what a joke!
    I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!
    Many magazine subscriptions were a waste for me, especially the ones without a spine so I can't even find them in my bookshelf!
    I'm sure you guys have others - share before I make my Christmas list!
    (P.S. the notion I love the most is my magnetic pin holder!)

One of the best bobbin keepers I have was given to me. It is a 7-day pill keeper with straight sides, not curved. The one I have holds four to five bobbins in each day's compartment. Since it is translucent, it is possible to see thread color through it. One pill holder holds approximately 35 bobbins. I also found an opaque one at Mighty Dollar for you guessed it $1. They are handy for lots of small things as they snap shut.

Other than that I keep my thread in a Snap Ware Unit using a tip I picked up on line -- I secure the bobbin thread to the bobbin using a notebook reinforcement than use a golf tee through the hole in the bobbin and placed into the hole of the thread spool. This keeps the bobbin and thread together and I store extra bobbins in the pill keeper. I do this because all my sewing is done at my quilt guild meeing/UFO days.

Gal
    What is a purple '
    "Thang"? Please.

Gal

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    A pounce to stencil. I can't get it to work for me. I even bought a lot of the special stencils with it and I can not use those for other things. Some people love a pounce so maybe I am doing it wrong?
    Bought it at a quilt show, demo at the show worked fine but not for me at home. I have it in a drawer in my sewing desk and someday I'll find a use for it. May in Jersey

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    I bought an Alto's QuiltCut for my Mom and it has now come back to me. Do any of you use this? Was it a waste of money?

I bought a plastic bobbin keeper case and the lid broke off it within days. But my two favorite notions are my magnetic pin holder (I LOVE THAT) and the non slip gloves. What a differnce in holding the material when you have arthritus in your hands.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    When I was Brand New to quilting, I saw a quilter on Simply Quilts use a kind of "ruler" that is essentially a big square with cutting slits every two inches. You square your fabric and lay this on it and then rotary cut through the slits. I used it once unsuccessfully - it required more coordination than apparently I possess. Perhaps with practice I could master it... Meanwhile, it sits propped behind my cutting table. for 10 years. lol...

A purple thang is used to push out corners, square on one
    end and pointed on the other....I use it on occasion, but I have found that chopsticks work just as well...

Blog Entries
    Here is the rotary cutter that I have that works.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3kdYDbj0aE

This phase of my quilting life I tend to buy the tools that will make the parts of quilting I find tedious more fun.
    I bought the Acuquilt Go, and the Simplicity Bias Binding machine.

I had a lot of trouble with the Pounce until I learned to use it the right way, now it works just fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZvWVNJHHqs

Yes to the above, if you use the pounce as leah day instructs it saves tons of time.

The pounce didn't work for me - messy, lines not clear --altho I've heard other quilters say they love it.

One notion I'd recommend is the round plastic magnetic pin holder -- I'm having a senior moment and can't think of the name, Grab-It?

Now a notions question. Yesterday I went to use my Olfa revolving cutting mat and my new rotary cutter. A few times the cutter wouldn't move and I thought I'd purchased a dud. Then I noticed some cut marks on the mat (my other Olfas have never had this problem). Does anyone know if there's some kind of tool for smoothing out nicks and cuts? Thanks for replies...........

The pounce didn't work for me - messy, lines not clear --altho I've heard other quilters say they love it.

One notion I'd recommend is the round plastic magnetic pin holder -- I'm having a senior moment and can't think of the name, Grab-It?

Now a notions question. Yesterday I went to use my Olfa revolving cutting mat and my new rotary cutter. A few times the cutter wouldn't move and I thought I'd purchased a dud. Then I noticed some cut marks on the mat (my other Olfas have never had this problem). Does anyone know if there's some kind of tool for smoothing out nicks and cuts? Thanks for replies...........

OK Worth a try. Thanks for the info and link. It would be nice to make this pounce work for me since I put some $ into it and I need something easy to mark my quilts..

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo

This phase of my quilting life I tend to buy the tools that will make the parts of quilting I find tedious more fun.

I had a lot of trouble with the Pounce until I learned to use it the right way, now it works just fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZvWVNJHHqs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    OK Worth a try. Thanks for the info and link. It would be nice to make this pounce work for me since I put some $ into it and I need something easy to mark my quilts..

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo

I think I'm going to give this a try also. This looks like it may be the ticket. :thumbup:

I bought the round one that you put oil on and it did not work at all, if anything, I think it made them worse. :thumbdown:

I love my pounce pad and stencils. It did take time figure it out. I love my magnetic pin holder and the quilting gloves. I use a magnetic "magic wand" my DGD no longer needs to pick up pins off the floor. Works great. I don't do hand quilting but do some hand sewing. Instead of a thimble (I've never found one I like) I cut fingers off a rubber glove (the ones you use for washing dishes). They fit great and work for me. DGD calls them "the finger". I had to laugh.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 11 ... LastLast