What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by Jo Mama
Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by Alisapao730
So has anyone recommended the Acuquilt?
NOT ME! I got one for Christmas last year, cut one quilt evaluated the waste, and how it stretched some of the fabrics and sold it. I purchased the Alto quilt cutter2 with the money I sold the Acuquilt for and am glad I did. :)
Eeeek! I just got the Accuquilt Go and haven't tried it yet. Now I'm scared.
There are thousands who love the Go and I'm one of them. The waste is the user's fault. No need to have more then 1/4" waste. I would not go back to rotary cutting now that I have the Go. I have the Alto QuiltCut 2 and it's nice but can't compare to the Go. Enjoy your purchase.
I only had excess of 1/4 inch around each side, however on a 2 inch square that is a waste if 1/2 inch ea side. that equals 25%. Yes I do enjoy the quilt cutter 2 and it does not stretch fabrics, however to eachhis own. :)
Old 11-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by babydragon
Well maybe I am wrong...or just not using it right, but I just got a clover tabletop needle threader, and cant seem to get it to work ( wrong needles maybe?) anyway at $16.00 it seemed a waste.
Those things are hard to master. Sometime I can get mine to work quickly then other times, it just won't work at all. I think it might be the needle.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Mama
Originally Posted by babydragon
Well maybe I am wrong...or just not using it right, but I just got a clover tabletop needle threader, and cant seem to get it to work ( wrong needles maybe?) anyway at $16.00 it seemed a waste.
Those things are hard to master. Sometime I can get mine to work quickly then other times, it just won't work at all. I think it might be the needle.
someeone told me to find oval eye needles...not long eye...like i know the difference lol
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 PM

Most of the marking pencils that are pastel colors or white and look like regular pencils are worthless. Lead marking pencils made for pattern making are OK, but usually leave a pretty heavy mark which may or may not wash out. The best I've found is the Fons & Porter lead-type pencil with very thin lead. They also have a lead-pencil style marker, but it uses larger chalk-type leads. There is also a special lead made for quilt marking that can be used in regular lead pencils that works great. The Easy Circle Cut template would be great if you can find a marker thin enough to reach to the fabric. This thing is about 1/8" thick and the lead won't reach the material. Thimbles are another gripe I have. The only one that stays on my finger that I can work with is the Clover leather one. It's a little more expensive and has a much more natural feel than all the others I tried.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 PM

I purchased a needle threader too because my eyes are not what they used to be. However, I was really having a problem until I realized that I was placing the needle in upside down (I've had better days). After I got the needle in properly if was all uphill and I love it.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:08 AM

I spent over a hundred dollars purchasing sewing/quilting supplies from my LQS when I took up a beginners quilting class. Some of these include fabric scissors, template sheets, triangular quilting rulers etc. Right after my beginners class, my teacher introduced me to rotary cutting and I ended up spending more! Duhz! I wonder why she can't start me off on rotary cutting, so I do not need to spend unnecessarily on some supplies and shorten my learning curve. Many of those supplies are lying around collecting dust as I didn't get to use them after my beginners class. Back then, she told me that those supplies were compulsory for the class. More like trying to earn more money out of me, I think.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by vivientan
I spent over a hundred dollars purchasing sewing/quilting supplies from my LQS when I took up a beginners quilting class. Some of these include fabric scissors, template sheets, triangular quilting rulers etc. Right after my beginners class, my teacher introduced me to rotary cutting and I ended up spending more! Duhz! I wonder why she can't start me off on rotary cutting, so I do not need to spend unnecessarily on some supplies and shorten my learning curve. Many of those supplies are lying around collecting dust as I didn't get to use them after my beginners class. Back then, she told me that those supplies were compulsory for the class. More like trying to earn more money out of me, I think.
She must own the shop!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:12 AM

I was going to buy it and went online to read some reviews of it. The reviews were not good so I didn't get it.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by grandmaquilts
I was going to buy it and went online to read some reviews of it. The reviews were not good so I didn't get it.
Boy! This thread is long. I'm getting totally confused and cannot connect items to comments. Think I will go in my sewing room and pick out the items that don't work and toss them in the donatin bag.

:shock: :shock:
Old 11-16-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have a long list of things I wish I had not purchased, but my latest was the "bobbin tower" - what a joke!
I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!
Many magazine subscriptions were a waste for me, especially the ones without a spine so I can't even find them in my bookshelf!
I'm sure you guys have others - share before I make my Christmas list!
(P.S. the notion I love the most is my magnetic pin holder!)
I got my needle threader working...now i loove it. I was using the wrong needles:)