Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I was just thinking..another tool that doesn't work for me is the trash can..I was sitting here..looking around. The floor is covered with snippets of fabric and thread. LOL.
I use an empty kleenex box to put all my cut threads and trimmed fabric in. the square ones don't take up much real estate and I can keep one by my machine, by the cutting board and on the end table next to where I sit when ripping out stitches. The little piece of plastic that keeps all the kleenex's from "jumping" out all at once keep whatever thread, and fabric slivers I push in there all locked up in the box untill I empty it. And the decorator design blends into the background and doesn't make me want to toss it out with whatever other clutter I have laying around. AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST IT'S FREE!!!! Talk about recycling.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by grandmaquilts
Originally Posted by Jo Mama
I was going to buy it and went online to read some reviews of it. The reviews were not good so I didn't get it.
Boy! This thread is long. I'm getting totally confused and cannot connect items to comments. Think I will go in my sewing room and pick out the items that don't work and toss them in the donatin bag.

:shock: :shock:
This was about the Simplicity Deluxe Rotary Cutting machine

LOVE IT!! Best laugh of the day.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bev
I wonder if anyone here uses the "Quilt Wizard." It's the foot that you put a plastic thingie on that creats a perfect quarter inch seam. It also has a plastic thingie that helps make "stitch in the ditch" quilting a breeze, according to the ad.
I bought one after seeing a demo at the NQS show years ago. I never used it and came upon it when I was cleaning up my quilting room. Has anyone used it? Is it as great as they say? Should I try it or just get rid of it? I haven't heard it mentioned here.
The quilt wizard works great for some and not for others, but practice helps. I have several different feet to get the 1/4 inch just so. Ya know what? With practice I can get them all to work. The practice is the most difficult part. But it pays off.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by babydragon
Well maybe I am wrong...or just not using it right, but I just got a clover tabletop needle threader, and cant seem to get it to work ( wrong needles maybe?) anyway at $16.00 it seemed a waste.
I found that you can't use the same size needles we normally use to get that tabletop model to work. The correct needle for that seems like a baseball bat after using the smaller ones. I found that there is a slender rectangular (about the size and shape of a pack of gum) grey threader out that works great with most smaller needles, especially the gold tipped ones. I can't remember who put it out but it's difficult to find. It is a storage, threader. You load up about 20 needles at once, put the lid on it, then as you need a threaded needle, you just slip the end of the thread into the case, pull and pull out a threaded needle. As you thread the needle into the case, you will be putting a wire similar to those little threaders they use to give away for free when you bought a pack of needles, the one with the bent wire to put through the eye of the needle. So if you can get one of those through the eye, it's a snap. I used to have a couple of them. They're great for sew groups and classes.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by boohoofish
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
The only thing that really jumps out in my mind is the rotary blade sharpener. I finally threw it out. I can't remember the name but it was blue and not very expensive.
Yes, I just had to have it - but I'll be darned if it actually sharpened anything!
You have to watch out about which side you use first, the rough side first, twirl it a few times, then the smooth side, twirl it a few times. If you reverse the order it will dull the blade.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 AM

I bot one of those for hand sewing needles and can't get it to
RE: Clover Needle Threader
If you belong to a guild or know other sewing or quilting friends, ask them or ask at your local quilt shop. I and most everyone in my guild has one and we all love it so maybe you just need a lesson in how it works! Ya know, many of us are at an age where we find they just don't make the holes in those darn needles like they used to!!!!! PS anytime you buy a notion like that, try to use a 40% or more coupon from some store:-)
Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by sewhip
Originally Posted by Bev
I wonder if anyone here uses the "Quilt Wizard." It's the foot that you put a plastic thingie on that creats a perfect quarter inch seam. It also has a plastic thingie that helps make "stitch in the ditch" quilting a breeze, according to the ad.
I bought one after seeing a demo at the NQS show years ago. I never used it and came upon it when I was cleaning up my quilting room. Has anyone used it? Is it as great as they say? Should I try it or just get rid of it? I haven't heard it mentioned here.
The quilt wizard works great for some and not for others, but practice helps. I have several different feet to get the 1/4 inch just so. Ya know what? With practice I can get them all to work. The practice is the most difficult part. But it pays off.
Knowing me, I'd say that I'll probably be one of the "others" who it will not work great for. But I WILL try my best at it a few times and see what happens. I remember when I was watching the demo it looked amazingly easy. I'm always sucked into those things. Now my DD goes with me and she's under strict orders NOT to let me buy a gadget being demonstrated. Even if she has to drag me away by the hair! :lol:
Old 11-19-2010, 03:49 AM

For me it's the Supreme Slider used for FMQ. I paid $30+ for it and I don't like it. What a waste of money.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:08 AM

Plastic quilters' bicycle clips - bought when I read in my first quilting books they are "essential". Tried once and threw them in the corner - much easier to scrunch the quilt up!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by BMP
Quilt Wizard..I have one and yes I have used it, it does work pretty well.
Does it work ona Bernina? I like the 1/4 inch Bernina foot with the guide but am a fool for gagets.