Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 AM
BMP

I have a Bernina with that foot, I wouldnt go back to the quilt Wizard now...I am not even sure it would fit the Bernina.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Katrine
Plastic quilters' bicycle clips - bought when I read in my first quilting books they are "essential". Tried once and threw them in the corner - much easier to scrunch the quilt up!
i'm with you-I bought them years ago and since I hand quilt, they constantly fell off my quilt as I turned by hoop to quilt. Maybe they work better when machine quilting, but they have been relegated to the bottom of my sewing box!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:58 PM

Regarding the bobbin side winder, I just tried mine for the first time (it has been sitting in the box for about 6 months). It wound my plastic bobbins (Brother machine) un-even, but I still tried them and they seem to work fine in the machine. So far-no trouble, but I don't really know why they wind un-even!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:13 PM

I''ve been wracking my brain about what gadget has been the biggest waste of money for me. There have been lots of things I've purchased in the past that did not live up to all they advertised themselves to be BUT, for me, the "Binding Thingie" was the worst. It looked so simple but I just could not figure out the instructions - even with little photos so I went to utube and brought up a video and I STILL could not figure it out. Wrecked some scrap fabric - no big deal. I never did call the lady who created it. Felt too dumb.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Mama
I''ve been wracking my brain about what gadget has been the biggest waste of money for me. There have been lots of things I've purchased in the past that did not live up to all they advertised themselves to be BUT, for me, the "Binding Thingie" was the worst. It looked so simple but I just could not figure out the instructions - even with little photos so I went to utube and brought up a video and I STILL could not figure it out. Wrecked some scrap fabric - no big deal. I never did call the lady who created it. Felt too dumb.
I have a similar ruler called the Creative grids, Angle finder I love it,try and look at there video. I also haved a Martelli finding machine that I no longer use since I bought the angle finder. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:28 AM

Thanks, can I get the Angle Finder at my local fab shop. Martelli's is just a few miles away - my try their thing.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by sewhip
Originally Posted by boohoofish
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
The only thing that really jumps out in my mind is the rotary blade sharpener. I finally threw it out. I can't remember the name but it was blue and not very expensive.
Yes, I just had to have it - but I'll be darned if it actually sharpened anything!
You have to watch out about which side you use first, the rough side first, twirl it a few times, then the smooth side, twirl it a few times. If you reverse the order it will dull the blade.
I love the sharpener! I have not bought a new blade in 10 years. I think the trick to using it is to always turn the sharpener clockwise - do not twist it back and forth. My dad taught me to sharpen knifes with a wheel turned sharpening stone way long ago and that is how he taught me.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:06 PM

I've used corn starch as well. A little finer than flour but basically the same thing.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Here's the Purple Thang.... I love mine. I bought 2. I use it all the time. http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/086283.html
Old 12-04-2010, 04:29 PM

[quote] For me it's the Supreme Slider used for FMQ. I paid $30+ for it and I don't like it. What a waste of money.[quote]

I bought it, haven't tried it yet. It's a teflon sheet, you can use it as a pressing sheet.... all is not lost if you don't like to sew in it.