Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Maggimae
Hi, yes there is a smoothing tool for cutting mats, no sure of the name but I know I've seen them on line and in catalogs. If I run across the ad I'll let you know!
There was a whole post on cutting mats, but I don't think any solution was really found. Many swear by soaking their mats for a few hours or more. My revolving mat cuts up very badly which is a big disappointment considering the cost!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 AM

The orangey things that you put on your ruler... It's a thin piece of orange something that sticks to your ruler. The idea is you put it where you want to cut - like on the 2.5" line, then you line your fabric up and it butts against the orange thing. It was kinda cool at first, but after 2 uses, it lost its sticky. Supposedly it works with static electricity... I dunno, but even the ones I haven't used don't work.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora
Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have a long list of things I wish I had not purchased, but my latest was the "bobbin tower" - what a joke!
I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!
Many magazine subscriptions were a waste for me, especially the ones without a spine so I can't even find them in my bookshelf!
I'm sure you guys have others - share before I make my Christmas list!
(P.S. the notion I love the most is my magnetic pin holder!)

One of the best bobbin keepers I have was given to me. It is a 7-day pill keeper with straight sides, not curved. The one I have holds four to five bobbins in each day's compartment. Since it is translucent, it is possible to see thread color through it. One pill holder holds approximately 35 bobbins. I also found an opaque one at Mighty Dollar for you guessed it $1. They are handy for lots of small things as they snap shut.

Other than that I keep my thread in a Snap Ware Unit using a tip I picked up on line -- I secure the bobbin thread to the bobbin using a notebook reinforcement than use a golf tee through the hole in the bobbin and placed into the hole of the thread spool. This keeps the bobbin and thread together and I store extra bobbins in the pill keeper. I do this because all my sewing is done at my quilt guild meeing/UFO days.
I love that idea for the bobbins. Thanks. would have never thought of it.???
Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by sewmuch
A purple thang is used to push out corners, square on one
end and pointed on the other....I use it on occasion, but I have found that chopsticks work just as well...

lol, I use chopsticks too ;-)
Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have a long list of things I wish I had not purchased, but my latest was the "bobbin tower" - what a joke!
I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!
Many magazine subscriptions were a waste for me, especially the ones without a spine so I can't even find them in my bookshelf!
I'm sure you guys have others - share before I make my Christmas list!
(P.S. the notion I love the most is my magnetic pin holder!)
If your seam ripper is a red and cream colored Fons & Porter--------I beg to differ. I can rip seams all day, and do sometimes when making my "pants" shopping bags. Yes, it rolls. Can't tell you how many times I've picked up the blasted thing. But I love it for the ease of use.

Something I did spend money on the other day was a thread nipper. Not sure what it's proper name is, but it's a great help with trimming thread while sewing. So much easier than even a small sissors.

And about the magnetic pin holder. I didn't buy a sewing one, I had a couple good magnet thingies and use both every time I sew. One of mine is a surf board bottle opener, but it's go two nice strong magnets on the back.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 AM

The "grab it" magnetic pin holders work well, but I've broken 2 by knocking them off my quilting table...so I went to an auto repair shop and bought a magnetic bowl....it's metal....and doesn't break when I have an uncoordinated moment. I love and use the June Taylor strip ruler every time I make a quilt....I use it for strip cutting blocks and binding....it's 12 inches square and has got a slit every 1/4 inch.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM

I found one mat smoother not the one I first saw, but you may want to look into it, it's called "colonial Needle mat smoother. its 2 1/2" round. Check (createforless.com) part number 81553751. Hope this helps!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 AM

I see one quilter's junk is another quilters treasure. I love my 'blue' rotary sharpening tool. I have ssved lots on blades because I use and re-use mine. If anyone has a "Little Twister Template" they think was a waste, I will take it off your hands and even pay postage! Thank you. Oh, I love my little nippers (from the beading area in Joanns) that I keep by my machine to trim off pesky threads and the make-up brush I keep by my machine to dust off the lint after ea. project.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
I bought an Alto's QuiltCut for my Mom and it has now come back to me. Do any of you use this? Was it a waste of money?

I confess to not using the I have very often.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
The orangey things that you put on your ruler... It's a thin piece of orange something that sticks to your ruler. The idea is you put it where you want to cut - like on the 2.5" line, then you line your fabric up and it butts against the orange thing. It was kinda cool at first, but after 2 uses, it lost its sticky. Supposedly it works with static electricity... I dunno, but even the ones I haven't used don't work.
I use plain ole masking tape for marking my measurements on my ruler. One layer won't do much for "butting up" the fabrics, but 3 or so layers will. Just remember to peel it off after you use it becasue the tape can leave a nasty residue.