Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 AM

The pounce pad works great for marking ... until you start quilting; then all of the chalk rubs off before you get to it. Maybe it would work better with machine quilting, but I do my quilting by hand so it was a waste of money for me. I did recently read somewhere though that you can get a spray that stabilizes the chalk markings and I wondered if Aqua Net would do the same; haven't tried it though.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
When I was Brand New to quilting, I saw a quilter on Simply Quilts use a kind of "ruler" that is essentially a big square with cutting slits every two inches. You square your fabric and lay this on it and then rotary cut through the slits. I used it once unsuccessfully - it required more coordination than apparently I possess. Perhaps with practice I could master it... Meanwhile, it sits propped behind my cutting table. for 10 years. lol...
Oh yeah--don't know what it is called, but it is my "go-to" tool whenever I need to cut strips--they are always straight! Dig that thing out and give it another try! :thumbup:
Old 11-10-2010, 10:02 AM

The round blue rotary blade sharpener was a complete waste of money. It never worked, and I finally threw it away.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 AM

hmmmmm i was thinking of getting a pounce.... I would be afraid the pencil would not wash out? but I assume since so many ppl use pencil that it does wash out???????

I have a set of mini drawers from wallmart ( welllots of sets actually) that I keep all my threads in... ( by color) and have a drawer for my bobbins.. that is the best I have found for me....
Old 11-10-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
The orangey things that you put on your ruler... It's a thin piece of orange something that sticks to your ruler. The idea is you put it where you want to cut - like on the 2.5" line, then you line your fabric up and it butts against the orange thing. It was kinda cool at first, but after 2 uses, it lost its sticky. Supposedly it works with static electricity... I dunno, but even the ones I haven't used don't work.
I use plain ole masking tape for marking my measurements on my ruler. One layer won't do much for "butting up" the fabrics, but 3 or so layers will. Just remember to peel it off after you use it becasue the tape can leave a nasty residue.
If you use the blue painters tape it won't leave any residue. I keep a roll with my sewing supplies.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:19 AM

One thing I bought when I first started quilting was one of those suction cup things that are supposed to hold your ruler down while cutting. The sales person told me I had to have them. I've never used them; my hand works best for me.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I have a small cutting mat on a lazy Susan - never used it effectively.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
I love my pounce, but like to use it with regular stencils, not the special ones that it requires. After I'm done trying to get the chalk to go through the netting on the special stencils my sewing room looks like it could double as a cocaine distribution center.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bluteddi
hmmmmm i was thinking of getting a pounce.... I would be afraid the pencil would not wash out? but I assume since so many ppl use pencil that it does wash out???????
Jean Brown (of Aunt Becky fame) says that she uses the silver pencil and that it washes out just fine. I would not use regular lead. My arsenal also includes a yellow pencil for dark fabric.

i've seen thread nippers (little spring loaded scissors) selling for LOTS of money - but i bought some at wal mart. they were hanging on a card - for $1.98 and they had a cap on them like an ink pen. love 'em