What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gal
What is a purple '
"Thang"? Please.

Gal
It's a 6 inch piece of plastic (purple of course) that you use to Push, Poke, Turn, Stuff anything about $4.00 :XD:
Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 AM

I guess I'm either lucky, or stupid, or cheap. But I don't have any of the things listed as "waste of Money". I do like the chop stick idea for getting to those corners, I usually just used a pencil. I try to find everyday items to help me do all this. Because if it is something that is little, I'd probably loose it in my mess anyway. LOL
Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
I see one quilter's junk is another quilters treasure. I love my 'blue' rotary sharpening tool. I have ssved lots on blades because I use and re-use mine. If anyone has a "Little Twister Template" they think was a waste, I will take it off your hands and even pay postage! Thank you. Oh, I love my little nippers (from the beading area in Joanns) that I keep by my machine to trim off pesky threads and the make-up brush I keep by my machine to dust off the lint after ea. project.
The nipper I bought the other day was a Fons and Porter. The regular price was about $12 but it was on sale. LOVE IT. Wondering why I never bought one earlier. NOW, I nip threads as aI go. I hated using the scissors as I sewed along-------even if they were little scissors.

another handy item for the sewing table is a lint roller like you'd use for lint on your clothes. Picks up the little bits of thread.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
A pounce to stencil. I can't get it to work for me. I even bought a lot of the special stencils with it and I can not use those for other things. Some people love a pounce so maybe I am doing it wrong?

Well I am seeing people liking and using some stuff that others thought useless. Maybe time to sell some stuff?
Apparently there is a trick to getting them to work. You bang it once to load the pad then rub the pad across your stencil. Leah Day had a great video on her website about it but I can't find it.

I am actually looking to get a pounce pad.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
I bought an Alto's QuiltCut for my Mom and it has now come back to me. Do any of you use this? Was it a waste of money?
Oh my no waste of money. If you want to sell it i will take it off your hands.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
I see one quilter's junk is another quilters treasure. I love my 'blue' rotary sharpening tool. I have ssved lots on blades because I use and re-use mine. If anyone has a "Little Twister Template" they think was a waste, I will take it off your hands and even pay postage! Thank you. Oh, I love my little nippers (from the beading area in Joanns) that I keep by my machine to trim off pesky threads and the make-up brush I keep by my machine to dust off the lint after ea. project.
my DD and I were at a quilt show a few years ago and bought some plastic sticks with a fuzzy little brush on the end...the girl said they are the best thing to use to clean your machine especially in small places around the bobbin...don't tell anyone but that what they use when you get your pap test...they work
Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 AM

Here's a notion I'll bet everyone already has. To keep little threads in one place while hand sewing or to hold bent pins etc. use an ashtray, probably just taking up room in a kitchen drawer. Ashtrays are almost never flat, they have some kind of "rise" around the rim, and help keep your sewing area organized and clean while you're hard at work.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

my thoughts about this is...
what i never use, hate, feel i wasted my money on the next person absolutely loves and can not live without. so i do not believe there is any such thing as a notion that is worthless...i agree on subscriptions...i dropped all of mine, but have friends who love theirs. i have a whole basket full of (tools) that i never ever use...most are from friends who can not live without them so figured i needed them too. a couple i would probably use if i had any idea how :)
so it's all relative; and i love my bobbin tower!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
Here's a notion I'll bet everyone already has. To keep little threads in one place while hand sewing or to hold bent pins etc. use an ashtray, probably just taking up room in a kitchen drawer. Ashtrays are almost never flat, they have some kind of "rise" around the rim, and help keep your sewing area organized and clean while you're hard at work.
If I do that I may forget that I quit smoking 13 yrs ago, and start all up again. LOL
Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM

I love my pounce, but like to use it with regular stencils, not the special ones that it requires. After I'm done trying to get the chalk to go through the netting on the special stencils my sewing room looks like it could double as a cocaine distribution center.