Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have a long list of things I wish I had not purchased, but my latest was the "bobbin tower" - what a joke!
I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!
Many magazine subscriptions were a waste for me, especially the ones without a spine so I can't even find them in my bookshelf!
I'm sure you guys have others - share before I make my Christmas list!
(P.S. the notion I love the most is my magnetic pin holder!)
A hint for magazines---when I used to subscribe to a lot of magazines, I bought the plastic spines that fit through a book & then place them in a three-ring notebook. then you can take a whole year's worth to look at very easily.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
The only thing that really jumps out in my mind is the rotary blade sharpener. I finally threw it out. I can't remember the name but it was blue and not very expensive.
I was wondering if those things worked. My son talked me out of it because it was too expensive.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewTinker
When I was Brand New to quilting, I saw a quilter on Simply Quilts use a kind of "ruler" that is essentially a big square with cutting slits every two inches. You square your fabric and lay this on it and then rotary cut through the slits. I used it once unsuccessfully - it required more coordination than apparently I possess. Perhaps with practice I could master it... Meanwhile, it sits propped behind my cutting table. for 10 years. lol...
There are so many people that love this, but I didn't like it either. I quilt my fleece blankets, so I don't need it for that either.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:46 PM

My biggest mistake was the bobbin "sidewinder" that I got at Hancocks for about $19. It is too lightweight and bounces around and never produces a smooth wind, lots of lumps and bunches. I, too, do not care for the blue round sharpener. It did not work for me.

One neat thing I use all the time is in the Furniture polish-cleaning section of the store. It is made by Pledge and is a plastic thing with 2 brushes inside and the lint and junk go up into the enclosed top area. It is great to run over my cutting board before using it. The cats track onto my board, and dust collects but it cleans it all off really well before putting a blade on it. It's also great for picking up thread pieces.

One other comment about magnets. I used a heavy duty one from the auto parts store to pick up pins out of my carpet. I believe it was responsible for wiping out the brain of the sewing machine I had. From then on, I am careful not to get them too close to my machine.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
For me, the Zip Bind System was very expensive and garbage!
what is the Zip Bind system?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
For me, the Zip Bind System was very expensive and garbage!
what is the Zip Bind system?
My question also.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:56 PM

Does sound like we need a swap....Zip Bind was a pain, I dont use pounce so I dont know about that, the Purple Thang was alright. I have several rulers that were basically useless. The Curvemaster foot was something I didnt really need.

So if somebody wants the Zip Bind, PM me, pay the shipping and it is yours.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:58 PM

Worst purchase ever - Martelli ergonomic rotary cutters! Bought both sizes and both broke within a month.

Gypsy grippers for rulers - more trouble than they are worth INHO.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:59 PM

I have the pounce pad..and love it! I also have the Alto's Quilt cut..I use it all the time. I think the biggest waste of money is sitting right in front of me..not that it was expensive..but..useless. It is a plastic container with a handle on it that holds all of those spools of thread for embroidery. It is called a slim line bobbin case. The hinges broke within the first week. There is a set of metal bias bars that are useless too. I used them one time..they got so hot from the iron that I burnt my fingers.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
A pounce to stencil. I can't get it to work for me. I even bought a lot of the special stencils with it and I can not use those for other things. Some people love a pounce so maybe I am doing it wrong?

Well I am seeing people liking and using some stuff that others thought useless. Maybe time to sell some stuff?
Apparently there is a trick to getting them to work. You bang it once to load the pad then rub the pad across your stencil. Leah Day had a great video on her website about it but I can't find it.

I am actually looking to get a pounce pad.
pm me.