Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 PM

I use chop sticks too. Another thing I have used is to take a broken knitting needle and put it in the pencil sharpener and put a blunt point on it. Works as good as the chop sticks. I had a seam ripper (small one) that would roll off the sewing table so I found a ball point pen that when taken apart part of the pen would fit the ripper. Made it easier to hold and kept it from rolling.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I try to avoid the unnecessary notions. You end up putting them away & forgetting you have them. I recently saw the Binding Tool. It appears easy to use, but I figure I've been doing fine without it, so it is a luxury - not necessary purchase.
Ditto'o. Been there, done that!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have a long list of things I wish I had not purchased, but my latest was the "bobbin tower" - what a joke!
I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!
Many magazine subscriptions were a waste for me, especially the ones without a spine so I can't even find them in my bookshelf!
I'm sure you guys have others - share before I make my Christmas list!
(P.S. the notion I love the most is my magnetic pin holder!)

So far it's been the binding tool thingy. I just knew it'd make bindings easier for me.. :lol::lol: and it laughs at me everytime I try to use it. I've always done the Sharon S way and it's worked, but thought the tool would work better. Guess I should've listen to myself (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) :lol:
Old 11-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I was just thinking..another tool that doesn't work for me is the trash can..I was sitting here..looking around. The floor is covered with snippets of fabric and thread. LOL.
:thumbup: :lol:
Old 11-10-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I was just thinking..another tool that doesn't work for me is the trash can..I was sitting here..looking around. The floor is covered with snippets of fabric and thread. LOL.
Yeah, did you ever notice when you put your hand out to drop a thread in the basket it jumps away so you miss it. I have a waste basket by every machine (4) and I still have stuff all over the floor. Cheap baskets, I guess.
ROTFLMAO!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:52 PM

*ROTFLMAO*
Old 11-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Originally Posted by Gina_D
One thing I bought when I first started quilting was one of those suction cup things that are supposed to hold your ruler down while cutting. The sales person told me I had to have them. I've never used them; my hand works best for me.
Same here, I have a large size one and a smaller one. I never use them. spent a pretty penny on those things though!!!!
Bought a couple myself and never took them out of the package.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Yeah, did you ever notice when you put your hand out to drop a thread in the basket it jumps away so you miss it. I have a waste basket by every machine (4) and I still have stuff all over the floor. Cheap baskets, I guess.
Mine always seems to get static electricity in them. I have more on the wall above the baskets then in them.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
ROTFLMAO!

I got mine at walmart...... I think it was a defect!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbin along
Originally Posted by sewTinker
When I was Brand New to quilting, I saw a quilter on Simply Quilts use a kind of "ruler" that is essentially a big square with cutting slits every two inches. You square your fabric and lay this on it and then rotary cut through the slits. I used it once unsuccessfully - it required more coordination than apparently I possess. Perhaps with practice I could master it... Meanwhile, it sits propped behind my cutting table. for 10 years. lol...
Oh yeah--don't know what it is called, but it is my "go-to" tool whenever I need to cut strips--they are always straight! Dig that thing out and give it another try! :thumbup:
I bought one and the first time I used it, I cut wrong. Need to be more mindful of the measurements. :hunf: