Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-10-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
hmmmmm i was thinking of getting a pounce.... I would be afraid the pencil would not wash out? but I assume since so many ppl use pencil that it does wash out???????
i shared this on another thread - but all i use is a lead pencil - Magic Eraser(dry) will get rid of pencil. Place the quilt on a hard surface though...

never have tried it w/colored pencils....
Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 PM

Silly ladies.....The answer to the trash can is to not use one, just flip the scraps and thread snips on to the floor and vacuum it later...and if you have a dog - he'll come into your sewing area, lay down in all the scraps and since they'll attach to his fur, he'll take them outside for you!!

See - problem solved!! :thumbup:
Old 11-10-2010, 06:21 PM

Yeah, did you ever notice when you put your hand out to drop a thread in the basket it jumps away so you miss it. I have a waste basket by every machine (4) and I still have stuff all over the floor. Cheap baskets, I guess.[/quote]

hmmm..not really into buying gadgets, cant think of anything i have that i dont use eventually..

tip about threads everywhere..

best solution i have used for 20 years?..get a roll of sticky tape or masking tape, wrap flat around 4 fingers sticky side facing out, overlapping as you go..you only need a few wraps..slip your fingers out and stick one side down flat next to your machine or cutting area..plonk all your threads on it and replace when it looks like a rainbow hedgehog..safe for computerised machines..kind of like fly paper i guess..works a treat..

and to clean your cutting mat?..keep all your narrow strippy bits of wadding, ball up and rub over your mat..it will pull all the threads and fibres out of the cuts..

huggs, pami
Old 11-10-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca
Silly ladies.....The answer to the trash can is to not use one, just flip the scraps and thread snips on to the floor and vacuum it later...and if you have a dog - he'll come into your sewing area, lay down in all the scraps and since they'll attach to his fur, he'll take them outside for you!!

See - problem solved!! :thumbup:
I just knew I was doing it all wrong ;-)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
Does sound like we need a swap....Zip Bind was a pain, I dont use pounce so I dont know about that, the Purple Thang was alright. I have several rulers that were basically useless. The Curvemaster foot was something I didnt really need.

So if somebody wants the Zip Bind, PM me, pay the shipping and it is yours.
I'm really sorry to hear the zip binding tool is not all it's cracked up to be... It was sitting at number 1 on my Xmas wish list.
Do the miter clamp thingies at least work? The zip gun thing? Maybe I can just put those on my list.
Sorcha (who is wrestling with the binding on quilt #9 of 11 that need done by end of month)
Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 PM

I SAW AN ALTO CUT ON LINE & SHOWED IT TO A GRANDSON
HE SAID I NEEDED ONE
I TOLD HIM IT WOULD BE A WASTE OF MONEY
BUT THAT CHRISTMAS I GOT ONE FROM THE FAMILY & AS YOU SAID ALL IT DOES IS TAKE UP SPACE BUT I HATE TO LET IT GO BECAUSE THEY GAVE IT TO ME
Old 11-10-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have a long list of things I wish I had not purchased, but my latest was the "bobbin tower" - what a joke!
I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!
Many magazine subscriptions were a waste for me, especially the ones without a spine so I can't even find them in my bookshelf!
I'm sure you guys have others - share before I make my Christmas list!
(P.S. the notion I love the most is my magnetic pin holder!)
I agree about the magnetic pin holder. I still use the one my Mom got me when I was in high-school and into clothes making. She got herself an orange one and me a yellow one. She is still using hers as well! I don't think I could do without it. (BTW, I graduated from highschool in 1979!!).
Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 PM

PS The ZIP BIND is gone...Cindy
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 PM

[quote=BellaBoo]
Originally Posted by ginnyk
My biggest mistake was the bobbin "sidewinder" that I got at Hancocks for about $19. It is too lightweight and bounces around and never produces a smooth wind, lots of lumps and bunches.
I took my Sidewinder apart (couple of screws) and put in a piece of heavy iron I found in DH's shop. There is a lot of empty space inside it. It doesn't move anywhere or tip over. And it winds so much smoother. If something doesn't work like I want it to I try to find out why not and modify what it needs.

Thank you very much for the info. I will try that. It will give DH a chance to be my hero. :lol:
Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I try to avoid the unnecessary notions. You end up putting them away & forgetting you have them. I recently saw the Binding Tool. It appears easy to use, but I figure I've been doing fine without it, so it is a luxury - not necessary purchase.
Check out the Missouri Star tutorial using the binding tool for a braid quilt. Had to purchase just for that reason!!