Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-10-2010, 04:03 PM

I was just thinking..another tool that doesn't work for me is the trash can..I was sitting here..looking around. The floor is covered with snippets of fabric and thread. LOL.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I was just thinking..another tool that doesn't work for me is the trash can..I was sitting here..looking around. The floor is covered with snippets of fabric and thread. LOL.
Oh man! You are looking in my room, aren't you ;-)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Oh gee, I don't use mine much either...
Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
The orangey things that you put on your ruler... It's a thin piece of orange something that sticks to your ruler. The idea is you put it where you want to cut - like on the 2.5" line, then you line your fabric up and it butts against the orange thing. It was kinda cool at first, but after 2 uses, it lost its sticky. Supposedly it works with static electricity... I dunno, but even the ones I haven't used don't work.
I have some of those orange strips..and they work great. I didn't take mine off of the ruler. It seems the placement of them is a width I use a lot.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM

Yeah, did you ever notice when you put your hand out to drop a thread in the basket it jumps away so you miss it. I have a waste basket by every machine (4) and I still have stuff all over the floor. Cheap baskets, I guess.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
For me, the Zip Bind System was very expensive and garbage!
what is the Zip Bind system?
It is a Martelli product sold with lots of pieces that is supposed to make binding so easy. It might be good for other people, but to me it is useless. You can see it here:
http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...nding+combo.do
Old 11-10-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Yeah, did you ever notice when you put your hand out to drop a thread in the basket it jumps away so you miss it. I have a waste basket by every machine (4) and I still have stuff all over the floor. Cheap baskets, I guess.
LOL..I have 4 trash cans in my sewing room..I think you are right..they do jump out of the way.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have a long list of things I wish I had not purchased, but my latest was the "bobbin tower" - what a joke!
I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!
Many magazine subscriptions were a waste for me, especially the ones without a spine so I can't even find them in my bookshelf!
I'm sure you guys have others - share before I make my Christmas list!
(P.S. the notion I love the most is my magnetic pin holder!)
If the bobbin tower is the green one made by Clover, I absolutely love it! LOL We are all so different.
I HATED mine until I hot glued the sections together and now I am much happier with it!!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ginnyk
My biggest mistake was the bobbin "sidewinder" that I got at Hancocks for about $19. It is too lightweight and bounces around and never produces a smooth wind, lots of lumps and bunches.
I took my Sidewinder apart (couple of screws) and put in a piece of heavy iron I found in DH's shop. There is a lot of empty space inside it. It doesn't move anywhere or tip over. And it winds so much smoother. If something doesn't work like I want it to I try to find out why not and modify what it needs.

The Clover mini iron was a purchase I thought was useless until I found out the iron has to be turned on and brought to high heat several times before it will reach max temp. After preheating the iron six or more times it gets very hot every time now and works great Same goes for some flat and curling irons for hair. Electricity acts the way it wants to. :lol:
Old 11-10-2010, 04:41 PM

I could not live without my magnetic pin cushions. I have 3 of them, I keep 1 on my ironing board, 1 on my cutting table and 1 next to my sewing machine.

In case anyone needs "more" notions, I was at Hancocks and they are all 50% off. There is an additonal 10% off from 8am to 10am on Thursday moring for their Veterans Day sale.