Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Marvlin
What in the world is a purple thang? Sounds interesting but I sure would like to know what it is and what it does. Thanks, Linda
it's a glorified chop stick. pointy on one end, 1/4" wide flat on the other. used to turn things
Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 AM

I bought a binding tool & now I wouldn't do with out it . I also was doing fine but this made it so much easier & faster & neater now I am getting a hem foot. it makes your hem neat, & fast
Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
I bought an Alto's QuiltCut for my Mom and it has now come back to me. Do any of you use this? Was it a waste of money?
I have the "Quilt Cut 2" and use it for every quilt I make. I cut ALL my strips on it instead of using a ruler on a cutting mat. Love it!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by bob1414
Originally Posted by kathidahl
I bought an Alto's QuiltCut for my Mom and it has now come back to me. Do any of you use this? Was it a waste of money?
I have the "Quilt Cut 2" and use it for every quilt I make. I cut ALL my strips on it instead of using a ruler on a cutting mat. Love it!!!
I have been looking at those and wondering if they were worth the money. Maybe will tell Santa ~~~ becasue I have been a good girl.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I bought the Angler 2 but never could get it to be easy to use. I bought a Pam Bono dvd. How to use the Angler is shown in detail and it made everything clear.

I like trying new quilting tools and gadgets. Some or hits some or misses. I found the misses are more from me not using it correctly.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:52 AM

I have the Altos Quilt Cut 2 and wonder why I purchased it. It is sooo heavy. Can't leave it out where I sew due to space. Am not motivated to have it take over my cutting mats. Shame upon me!
Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 AM

I was going to buy the June Tailor's shape cut ruler but decided my cutting board and rulers work well. Same with the Accucut and Cricut.

I have a sister that sews and does a lot of crafts. I have to be careful when talking to her because she does collect everything and she makes everything sound wonderful. Then I get it and it is not so wonderful or useful or what I really want to do.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by nantucketsue
I have a question. Many of you are praising the virtues of the magnetic pin holder but I wonder about the possible danger to my computerised sewing machine if it is close at hand. How safe is it? It sounds like a must have. A friend had her cell phone wiped by something magnetic, so I am particularly cautious.

The brain of your computerized machine is in the upper part of it..there is nothing wrong with using a magnetic pin holder near your machine.
i have been using one for years, at least 6 years, i have the janome 6600. no problems what so ever.

Same here, I have been using mine since I had the machine. Never any problems.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:27 AM

I don't like my AccuQuilt Go. I can cut faster with my rotary cutter and rulers. I also don't like the quilt basting tool. It leaves too big of a hole in the fabric and those little plastic things go everywhere when you clip them out. I also bought a thimble that cost me $37.00 with 25% off and I just can't get used to it. That is all I can think of right now but my sewing room is full of unused stuff.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
A pounce to stencil. I can't get it to work for me. I even bought a lot of the special stencils with it and I can not use those for other things. Some people love a pounce so maybe I am doing it wrong?

Well I am seeing people liking and using some stuff that others thought useless. Maybe time to sell some stuff?
The pounce was one of the first things I bought and have never gotten it to work the way they say it's supposed to. It was a total waste for me.