Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM

I "borrowed" a pair of "nippers" from my husbands fly tying (fly fishing) equipment. Love them! We seem to spend a lot of time "borrowing" equipment between our two hobbies - they use a lot of the same equipment and fly fishing stores have a lot of goodies quilters would love to have.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by featherweight
There is no way in h_l that I would cut with the scissors and templates.

:-D :-D Nor me! I'm beginning to think that way about the rotary cutter and ruler cutting now that I use the Go die cut machine. :wink:
Thats how I feel about my Altos quiltcut. I cut everything I can on it.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by lorli
Darn! I just bought one of those because I can't cut a straight line. Haven't tried it yet - it was expensive, too!
Don't give up without trying it--may work wonderfully well for you. I bought mine to cut fringe with on a "zillion" fleece blankets I was doing one year for Christmas. I really don't use it for much else.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ajw
How about the Dritz basting gun?! Now that was a waste of money!! It is near impossible to keep the fabric layers taught while sliding the grid around underneath so that you can punch the gun through. And then the needle that inserts the little plastic tack through your fabric has such a lorge bore that it actually slices the fabric leaving little holes. I've tried using it twice and kicked myself both times after having to remove all of the little plastic tacks and wind up pin basting anyway. Uuuugh!
THat was probably my biggest "bomb". I didn't like it either.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 AM

Some one said: "I took my Sidewinder apart (couple of screws) and put in a piece of heavy iron I found in DH's shop. There is a lot of empty space inside it. It doesn't move anywhere or tip over. And it winds so much smoother."

Thank you for sharing this tip. I am going to try it. I didn't like the way mine worked either. I think this will really help.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I love my pounce pad and stencils. It did take time figure it out. I love my magnetic pin holder and the quilting gloves. I use a magnetic "magic wand" my DGD no longer needs to pick up pins off the floor. Works great. I don't do hand quilting but do some hand sewing. Instead of a thimble (I've never found one I like) I cut fingers off a rubber glove (the ones you use for washing dishes). They fit great and work for me. DGD calls them "the finger". I had to laugh.
I just ordered the pounce the other day, do you mark your entire quilt and then begin to quilt? Does the white chalk rub off easily?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 AM

i thought "basting" spray was actually used to baste a quilt. at least that's what i use it for. what's the point of using spray and then pin/stitch basting? seems like extra work to me.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 AM

I use basting spray to baste it.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:52 AM

Static electricty?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
i thought "basting" spray was actually used to baste a quilt. at least that's what i use it for. what's the point of using spray and then pin/stitch basting? seems like extra work to me.
I have never pinned a quilt since I started using the basting spray. I've always used June Taylor just because that was what Walmart carried and they were always significantly lower on their price that JoAnne's. I use it on all sizes--whether they are queen or just a lap throw.