Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Marvlin
What in the world is a purple thang? Sounds interesting but I sure would like to know what it is and what it does. Thanks, Linda

here is a picture:

http://www.roserushbrooke.com/notion...rple-thang.jpg
Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
I love my pounce, but like to use it with regular stencils, not the special ones that it requires. After I'm done trying to get the chalk to go through the netting on the special stencils my sewing room looks like it could double as a cocaine distribution center.
Oh no that is just what I needed to hear. I spend a lot of money. Blehhhhh
Old 11-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mpayne
What is a purple thang?
Kind of like a flat chop stick from purple plastic. I have one some where too that I do not use. I much prefer a metal botkin.http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1...ols/bodkin.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Foot-Th.../dp/B001ELBCFG
Old 11-11-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by KookNKwilt
I bought one of the new "Cutting Edge" rulers that is supposed to sharpen your rotary blades as you use it. I think it dulls the blade! What a waste of $20.00.
Oh am I glad to hear that. Thank you, you just saved me $20.00. Now I can go buy a little more fabric.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 AM

This is a great thread! I have the basting tool and never used it because the needle on it was so big. the small suction cup ruler holders- i got rid of them because they didn't work. I think a swap for notions would be a good idea. one persons junk is another persons treasure.
On the thread thing-sometimes I have velcro hands and I can't get rid of the threads to even get close to the trash cans!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 AM

My second quilt was made out of denim so I thought it would be hard to baste by hand it denim is very dense and thick. So I bought this aerosol can...baste spray or something. You sprayed the stuff onto the batting and lay the quilt top on your batting and the spray would hold it in place. Not the case. It made a sticky mess, but apparently not sticky enough to hold the quilt in place. It was one of those moments where I swore quite a bit.

What else? A marker that was supposed to have ink that would disappear when you ironed it. The ink most of the time did not show up on even the whitest fabric and when it did would not come out with an iron.

Somehow I acquired a set of stencils with instructions that I never use.

Pre-packaged binding. Crap.

I fear my rotary cutter might become one. Its not that I used it, hated it, and found it to be a waste of money. Rather its still in the packaging waiting to be used and I wonder if I'll ever get around to using it and therefore will be a waste of money that way. Or that I'll use it, hate it, and find that its a waste of money...which in that case the self healing mat would be a waste as well and the long acrylic ruler I bought just for rotary cutting.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by nantucketsue
I have a question. Many of you are praising the virtues of the magnetic pin holder but I wonder about the possible danger to my computerised sewing machine if it is close at hand. How safe is it? It sounds like a must have. A friend had her cell phone wiped by something magnetic, so I am particularly cautious.

The brain of your computerized machine is in the upper part of it..there is nothing wrong with using a magnetic pin holder near your machine.
i have been using one for years, at least 6 years, i have the janome 6600. no problems what so ever.
My sewing machine guy stated that the only way it would hurt your computer if you rub it on the screen. Other than it it doesn't hurt to use magnetic products.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 AM

I use plain ole masking tape for marking my measurements on my ruler. One layer won't do much for "butting up" the fabrics, but 3 or so layers will. Just remember to peel it off after you use it becasue the tape can leave a nasty residue.
If you use the painter's tape instead of masking tape you can remove it without any residue and the blue or green is pretty too! :-P
Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by JulieM
I use a piece of masking tape about 12 inches long roll it onto itself (wrong side out attach ends to each other) and put that on my sewing table. Great for throwing threads on.

Did that make sense?
JulieM
Makes perfect sense. I pull one of my lint roller sheets off the roller and do the same thing. They work great!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by mrsreeves2
Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Marking pencils and the disappearing ink pen. It doesn't always disappear! Luckily it was on a scrappy quilt I used as practice so it doesn't matter, but I've never used it again.

I just use a regular mechanical pencil now. Works just fine.
QuiltingGrannie, I prefer a regular pencil, too, but I have had trouble removing the marks when I am done quilting. What do you do for this?
They said earlier they use a "Magic Eraser" for removing the marks.