Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 03:54 AM

Needle threader with light - still can't see to get the end into the needle to thread the thread into it!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbin along
Originally Posted by sewTinker
When I was Brand New to quilting, I saw a quilter on Simply Quilts use a kind of "ruler" that is essentially a big square with cutting slits every two inches. You square your fabric and lay this on it and then rotary cut through the slits. I used it once unsuccessfully - it required more coordination than apparently I possess. Perhaps with practice I could master it... Meanwhile, it sits propped behind my cutting table. for 10 years. lol...
Oh yeah--don't know what it is called, but it is my "go-to" tool whenever I need to cut strips--they are always straight! Dig that thing out and give it another try! :thumbup:
I'm sew happy to hear this! I absolutely Will try again. Thanks for the encouraging inspiration.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:23 AM

I bought one of the new "Cutting Edge" rulers that is supposed to sharpen your rotary blades as you use it. I think it dulls the blade! What a waste of $20.00.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:28 AM

I bought Elisas backporch rulers and I paid $18.00 for them and I have never used them.Also an easy winder with the universal thread holder. I paid $66.10 for both of them.Also several rulers that I bought from QVC.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:38 AM

Where in NJ? Do you have a quilt shop? If so where?
I live in central Jersey and have had a problem finding them, the only one I've found is in Carteret.
Mummadee
Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by KookNKwilt
I bought one of the new "Cutting Edge" rulers that is supposed to sharpen your rotary blades as you use it. I think it dulls the blade! What a waste of $20.00.
glad to know...have been tempted to order several.
Thanks,
Susan
Old 11-11-2010, 04:48 AM

ONE PERSON'S WASTE OF MONEY-IS ANOTHER PERSON'S DREAM NOTION. UNFORTUNATLY, THE ONLY WAY TO FIND OUT IS TO TRY IT. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
When I was Brand New to quilting, I saw a quilter on Simply Quilts use a kind of "ruler" that is essentially a big square with cutting slits every two inches. You square your fabric and lay this on it and then rotary cut through the slits. I used it once unsuccessfully - it required more coordination than apparently I possess. Perhaps with practice I could master it... Meanwhile, it sits propped behind my cutting table. for 10 years. lol...
Bought the same one. NEVER got a straight cut.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:53 AM

Some marking pencils - I can't recall the name they work okay on some fabrics and not so much on others. Some notions I've looked at and decided against - like the purple thang (why buy something when I sharpened then dulled the sharp point of a dowel rod I had left over from a project?) and bias tape maker. I have to improvise a lot, partly from budget restraints and partly because I don't know I need something until I need it NOW! LOL I do like my magnetic pin catcher and telescopic magnet and I keep my bobbins on the same nail as my threads on my thread holder I made from a piece of wood and nails. It works just as good as anything else.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:56 AM

I have a question. Many of you are praising the virtues of the magnetic pin holder but I wonder about the possible danger to my computerised sewing machine if it is close at hand. How safe is it? It sounds like a must have. A friend had her cell phone wiped by something magnetic, so I am particularly cautious.