Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 AM

I love mine. accurate and fast. cut a lot in little time.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
i have wondered why also.
anything i reply to, i get an update in my email. when i click on that link, it takes me to my last post,on that particular thread, and i read from there. so i see all the replies.
i have PM'd a few people that have asked and the answer has been posted..with the link or the answer, because they missed it.
i wish we could add an attachment/picture ot PM's. that would be nice. then i would of sent them a picture directly of the purple thang and pounce pad..and not reposted the info.
for people who are not a member, i am not sure how it works. i signed up right away when i saw this board! it is so awesome and helpful!
:thumbup:
I think it works the same, whether you're a member or not, if I remember correctly. Also, where you go depends upon if you click on the title (1st page) or the arrows on the right hand side of the page listing the titles (last response you read or last response posted, depending on the one clicked).

I have seen some folks respond to repeated same inquires within a post with the page number of the answer. Perhaps this is one way to handle it, so that the inquirer gets used to looking for the replies, reads more than the current/last page, and learns how to flip through the pages before asking? I thought this was a good idea when I saw it.

And I do understand - after about the 15th time, it sure gets old - and the post becomes very, very long. But if posting the page numbers helps, then that may be a good answer?

Just a thought.
Debbie in Austin
Old 11-12-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
good grief, how many times do people have to explain what a purple thang is....doesn't anyone read previous posts....sorry but it is so annoying to me to read posts and have people ask the same thing over and over again....it is amazing when people just jump in and never read what has been said previously!!!!!!!!!!
True, BTW I use a small knitting needle and think it works well, even looks like the purple thang, only it is aluminum and longer. Love it.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ewhughe1
There are always new people that have never been here before and they get right in the middle. You don't come up on a "home page".
I didn't realize there was a home page regardless of whether you sign in or not....each topic shows what page you're reading on.....so say you start with the original topic (and click on it) that would be the first page to start reading replies and it's shows pages on the top or bottom right hand side which page you are reading on.....then you keep hitting the next page to keep reading about the original topic and all the replies...maybe I'm not explaining this right but it's so easy to follow regardless of signing in or not. I enjoy reading all the replies even tho there are numerous pages on some topics and thus when a question is asked/answered numerous times on the same topic it is simply because someone has not read through all the posts to realize their question has been asked and answered ad nauseum (sp). I am not trying to be critical or rude but frankly just don't understand how in the same topic the same thing has been brought up so many times and wonder why the person doesn't read through the entire thread before posting the same question again and again. I am not trying to offend anyone but just wondering why?
:shock: :shock:
Again, not to be rude, but this thread is "What notions are a waste of money", and someone would read these posts and decide that this thread is just going off on a tangent, and not knowing how long it goes on, want to ask a question that pertains to the thread and they just ask it. Just guessing.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
A pounce to stencil. I can't get it to work for me. I even bought a lot of the special stencils with it and I can not use those for other things. Some people love a pounce so maybe I am doing it wrong?

Well I am seeing people liking and using some stuff that others thought useless. Maybe time to sell some stuff?
A friend of mine bot me a can of MARKING MAGIC! It is a spray (white in my case) that you use with stencils. directions are: Apply, Quilt, Wash away. Haven't tried it yet but looks like it may be worth it. She bot @ big sale for $1.00 so if it doesn't work - tough !!! (reg price was $12.99)
Old 11-12-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I was just thinking..another tool that doesn't work for me is the trash can..I was sitting here..looking around. The floor is covered with snippets of fabric and thread. LOL.
LOL mine too
Old 11-12-2010, 09:48 AM

good grief, how many times do people have to explain what a purple thang is....doesn't anyone read previous posts....sorry but it is so annoying to me to read posts and have people ask the same thing over and over again....it is amazing when people just jump in and never read what has been said previously!!!!!!!!!!
I think it's because they ask as they are reading through the thread. I know I've done that and realize that the question was answered later.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
If I had to choose only 4 notions that I can't live without they would be:
1. my Machingers gloves for quilting
2. my small tomato pincushion with adhesive on the bottom. I attached the pincushion to the top of my machine and I can find & use it without even looking up from my sewing
3. my binding clips that look like the pop-open hair clips...they save so much time
4. my Kwik Clip tool for placing quilting pins

Isn't it great when you've bought an item and it really DOES work well?
I have the quilting gloves by F&P but medical gloves work just as well. I got a bunch in my size from the nurses during a recent surgical procedure. You can buy them just about anywhere. Also went to Dollar Tree and bought the hair clips - they work as well as the more expensive ones I bought a few years ago
Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 PM

Funny I have the chalk pens and love them. But I always make sure I have a hard surface under the fabric when I am marking it. Have the bobbin winder and don't use it. Just think its a pain. Looks like we can see why there is a market for these things ... I love my little ripper holder from Fons and Porter. Makes chain sewing fabric pieces go faster when I can just set it there and it cuts one right after the other apart.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:46 PM

I am glad someone else said it. I was wondering the same thing on many posts. However, at 25 pages of comments it is somewhat daunting to read every post. I can see it both ways in a case like that.