Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tracy50
Originally Posted by shrabar
I bought a binding tool & now I wouldn't do with out it . I also was doing fine but this made it so much easier & faster & neater now I am getting a hem foot. it makes your hem neat, & fast
Applying binding is my least fav thing to do regarding quilting, so I bought one of these things. I must be backwards or something because I can't for the life of me get it to work. I've watched the video on You Tube from Missouri Quilting Co., but the one I got is not the same one and I don't know where to get....wait, I could get it from there! Anyone want to buy the one I have? Just shipping would do it? Here's a pic. it's a little thing, nothing like what they have on You Tube!
I have one from Creative Grids(Angle Finder) Theirs has more lines and It is great I use it all the time. Also I have Martelli $100+ but I use this ruler instead
Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
I bought the round metal wire circle thing with a hanger to hang rulers on to keep them together. The problem is the one you need is always the one in the middle and turning the wire lets others fall off except the one you're trying to get at.
I use a hanging file folder holder that hangs on the wall, mine has five different sections, so you can put several rulers in each
section, I got mine at Ikea but the also have them at office stores.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Henriellen Kibler
A good way to cut down having to store all of your quilt magazines is to copy (scan) the articles and directions on to your computer. You have WORD on your computer Scan your copy into it and it will store it alphabetically for you (I think). I haven't had time to try this out yet. Someone mentioned this a couple of weeks ago on this site and it sounds like a winner. Then I will have some shelves to put other things like my husbands books. He deserves a little room now and then.
Henri
You don't even need word, I just scan the patterns and add them to a file, I have different files for different types of quilts and another file for Reference (how to) articles.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 PM

I like my Alto's quilt cutter, use it all the time.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by Alisapao730
So has anyone recommended the Acuquilt?
NOT ME! I got one for Christmas last year, cut one quilt evaluated the waste, and how it stretched some of the fabrics and sold it. I purchased the Alto quilt cutter2 with the money I sold the Acuquilt for and am glad I did. :)
Eeeek! I just got the Accuquilt Go and haven't tried it yet. Now I'm scared.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
"press down in the center and twirl this around" circle cutters are a waste too.

now this I use LOL, I have probably 8 thimbles and have yet to find one I like better than the little leather pads...don't like the marking pencils either...a pencil works fine, have received lots of things from secret sisters that I could have done without
Tell me more about why you do not like the circle cutters. Are talking about the ruler guide that cuts the circles? I was thinking of buying one.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:30 AM

I bought a rotary cutter & it has sharpened my old blades real good . the problem is that if your blade is not dull yes dull it will ruin your blades it has to be dull that can no longer cut. Also when it says 20 times when you go up & down that is once. not twice . you have to do 20 x then turn the sharpener all the way around & do it 20 more times . then 10x then 5 x remember to turn the sharpener all the way around afer each set. when you do that your blade will be sharp. just run the blade back & forth slowly. Saves a lot on your blades. shrabar.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by deanna.r
Once, we had been out of the house for quite a while; and our old rescue mutt, who has never chewed anything since she was a puppy, ate a tube of bright red lipstick (used by my daughter for dance performances) and proceeded to vomit it all over our grey living room rug. I tried everything I could think of to get those marks out and nothing worked-- it looked like a murder scene! Finally I sprayed them with WD-40 and it worked like a charm.
After I stopped laughing over the "murder scene" comment, I went out to my DH's work area and got his smallest can of WD40. I'll keep it in my quilting room from now on, for emergency murder scenes of my own.
I'm loving this thread. I've read it over a couple of times to make sure I haven't missed anything. I'm making note of anything that looks like it will work for me. 8-)
Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jo Mama
Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by Alisapao730
So has anyone recommended the Acuquilt?
NOT ME! I got one for Christmas last year, cut one quilt evaluated the waste, and how it stretched some of the fabrics and sold it. I purchased the Alto quilt cutter2 with the money I sold the Acuquilt for and am glad I did. :)
Eeeek! I just got the Accuquilt Go and haven't tried it yet. Now I'm scared.
There are thousands who love the Go and I'm one of them. The waste is the user's fault. No need to have more then 1/4" waste. I would not go back to rotary cutting now that I have the Go. I have the Alto QuiltCut 2 and it's nice but can't compare to the Go. Enjoy your purchase.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:07 AM

Someone was talking about the big square with slits they use to cut strips... I have one and use it all the time. Its great and makes cutting easy and fast. Mine is called the Shape Cut and its made by June Tailor. Its clear plastic with slits every half inch. I have one good tip to add. When cutting more than a couple times put a dot of masking tape at each measure you are going to cut at. No matter how good I try to remember it seems that I always mannage to cut one time at the wrong line. I started doing this after I was cutting for a baby quilt and the very last cut needed I did wrong and I really needed that last cut! Had to sew two pieces togeather so I have one square with a seam ..dang it.. but atleast it was a fabric that the seam isn't really noticeable.