Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What notions are a waste of money? >
  • What notions are a waste of money?

• What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by mommy and pebbles
    I can safely say I have through the whole thread(it has taken me since yesterday with the grand kids here), so I have a question to ask that no one asked. How well do the Martelli Mitre clips work as I have though of buying a set. I believe that I have been talked out of the pounce so I might try some type of powder in a knee high and see how that works.
    Just wanted to say to not be talked out of the pounce. It's a good tool, and the majority of us longarmers use it almost daily - as do we use the blue wash-out markers. However, if you're quilting on your regular sewing machine, not much will stay in place with all the wadding and rubbing that the quilt takes - except a blue wash-out marker. So, there are some things that work well, provided they are used as they are meant too :)

Just my thoughts,
    Debbie in Austin
    Old 11-13-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Alisapao730
    So has anyone recommended the Acuquilt?
    Love mine - and have used it for every quilt.

Debbie in Austin
    Old 11-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by sewmuch
    A purple thang is used to push out corners, square on one
    end and pointed on the other....I use it on occasion, but I have found that chopsticks work just as well...
    "Oh-h-h yes. I didn't know thats what it was called. A manicuring tool that looks just like that might work too.
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:32 PM

Is the binding tool a ruler called Angle Finder, If so, I really like mine, I also have the Automatic Binding machine which I paid over $100 for and do not use much any more. With the angle finder you use a separate piece of binding for each side of the quilt. I love it.
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:45 PM

Scissor Queen,

Thanks for the tip on the Purple Thang, I have one and never realized it had a perfect 1/4 inch width to it. Will make more good use of it now.
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:47 PM
    BMP

Originally Posted by mltquilt
    Originally Posted by Grandmother23
    Originally Posted by Bobbin along
    Originally Posted by sewTinker
    When I was Brand New to quilting, I saw a quilter on Simply Quilts use a kind of "ruler" that is essentially a big square with cutting slits every two inches. You square your fabric and lay this on it and then rotary cut through the slits. I used it once unsuccessfully - it required more coordination than apparently I possess. Perhaps with practice I could master it... Meanwhile, it sits propped behind my cutting table. for 10 years. lol...
    Oh yeah--don't know what it is called, but it is my "go-to" tool whenever I need to cut strips--they are always straight! Dig that thing out and give it another try! :thumbup:
    I bought one and the first time I used it, I cut wrong. Need to be more mindful of the measurements. :hunf:
    I use this item to cut strips all the time and absolutely love it. I have made a miss cut on a few occasions due to not paying attention, but then I have been known to do that with a regular ruler.

MLT
    What is the name of it, I DO think I would use one ...
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by gramma8
    But, the pen with a rotary wheel on the marking end and loose chalk inside, works like a charm. Especially when you need to mark the cloth right before sewing. :)

One of my favorites -- actually lives on the table at all times -- with a "bodkin" for turning handles rightside out.

idk what i have and don't have - but i'm generally willing to try anything once.
    Old 11-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Write to Martelli, and explain what happened, I just went to a show and They replaced mine, I have two and the last one was made by a different manufacture and they had problems with it.
    I really like mine I have two and so does my sister. They are very reasonable to work with. Just contact them.
    Old 11-13-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by lorli
    And of course, how could I forget the sticky seam guide that you put on the sewing machine that left sticky stuff that I am still trying to remove (oil didn't work).
    Try removing the sticky stuff with WD40 works great.
    Old 11-13-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    The only thing that really jumps out in my mind is the rotary blade sharpener. I finally threw it out. I can't remember the name but it was blue and not very expensive.
    Yes, I just had to have it - but I'll be darned if it actually sharpened anything!