Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-13-2010, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
Originally Posted by quiltmaker
good grief, how many times do people have to explain what a purple thang is....doesn't anyone read previous posts....sorry but it is so annoying to me to read posts and have people ask the same thing over and over again....it is amazing when people just jump in and never read what has been said previously!!!!!!!!!!
I think it's because they ask as they are reading through the thread. I know I've done that and realize that the question was answered later.
Now, now, Robin. Let's be a little more patient. I am so guilty of doing this same thing.

:lol:
Old 11-13-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by ewhughe1
There are always new people that have never been here before and they get right in the middle. You don't come up on a "home page".
I didn't realize there was a home page regardless of whether you sign in or not....each topic shows what page you're reading on.....so say you start with the original topic (and click on it) that would be the first page to start reading replies and it's shows pages on the top or bottom right hand side which page you are reading on.....then you keep hitting the next page to keep reading about the original topic and all the replies...maybe I'm not explaining this right but it's so easy to follow regardless of signing in or not. I enjoy reading all the replies even tho there are numerous pages on some topics and thus when a question is asked/answered numerous times on the same topic it is simply because someone has not read through all the posts to realize their question has been asked and answered ad nauseum (sp). I am not trying to be critical or rude but frankly just don't understand how in the same topic the same thing has been brought up so many times and wonder why the person doesn't read through the entire thread before posting the same question again and again. I am not trying to offend anyone but just wondering why?
:shock: :shock:

Here is another perfect example of not reading through the posts on a thread. My original post was on page 26 and this post on page 27 but I keep getting berated from the page 26 post. I thought this particular post explaned myself far better especially since we now have 31 plus pages of posts. Again, I love to read everyone's opinions and thoughts on various products but to have people that don't want to take the time to read everything and question more than one thing over and over makes the topic so long and it becomes so timely to go through each and every post and I understand why people don't want to but for those of us that do read through it all it does become frustrating. I am only human too and was only trying to understand why this happens so much. I received many informative opinions on this.

However the lady that cared to share a bible verse with me was out of line as far as I am concerned. Yes, I am a Christian but this is not the place to share my/our various religious or even political views especially in relation to a fair and honest question. I know many ladies have their favorite bible verses by their names and that is fine and I do enjoy that but to specifically point to a bible verse in regards to my honest question was out of line. We probably have many religions on this board and some that may not even have a religion and it is not our place to preach our views to them in relation to questions asked.

Again as my above post states, I was not trying to be offensive to anyone but trying to understand why people would ask the same questions over & over again. There are actually more posts in this topic on more than the purple thang that have been asked and answered several times. It sure makes for a very long thread when this happens. Obviously it doesn't bother some and for some it makes people wonder just as myself. So....to end the subject for myself and others...it was an honest question and for whatever reason sensitive to some so please accept my apology but also understand that I too love to read through and learn what I can from this board and do read through ALL the topics and posts that intererst me but find it annoying for the same questions to be asked over and over again when answered because they chose not to read through the entire topic. Color me an imperfect human being for this feeling if you must.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by ewhughe1
There are always new people that have never been here before and they get right in the middle. You don't come up on a "home page".
I didn't realize there was a home page regardless of whether you sign in or not....each topic shows what page you're reading on.....so say you start with the original topic (and click on it) that would be the first page to start reading replies and it's shows pages on the top or bottom right hand side which page you are reading on.....then you keep hitting the next page to keep reading about the original topic and all the replies...maybe I'm not explaining this right but it's so easy to follow regardless of signing in or not. I enjoy reading all the replies even tho there are numerous pages on some topics and thus when a question is asked/answered numerous times on the same topic it is simply because someone has not read through all the posts to realize their question has been asked and answered ad nauseum (sp). I am not trying to be critical or rude but frankly just don't understand how in the same topic the same thing has been brought up so many times and wonder why the person doesn't read through the entire thread before posting the same question again and again. I am not trying to offend anyone but just wondering why?
:shock: :shock:

Here is another perfect example of not reading through the posts on a thread. My original post was on page 26 and this post on page 27 but I keep getting berated from the page 26 post. I thought this particular post explaned myself far better especially since we now have 31 plus pages of posts. Again, I love to read everyone's opinions and thoughts on various products but to have people that don't want to take the time to read everything and question more than one thing over and over makes the topic so long and it becomes so timely to go through each and every post and I understand why people don't want to but for those of us that do read through it all it does become frustrating. I am only human too and was only trying to understand why this happens so much. I received many informative opinions on this.

However the lady that cared to share a bible verse with me was out of line as far as I am concerned. Yes, I am a Christian but this is not the place to share my/our various religious or even political views especially in relation to a fair and honest question. I know many ladies have their favorite bible verses by their names and that is fine and I do enjoy that but to specifically point to a bible verse in regards to my honest question was out of line. We probably have many religions on this board and some that may not even have a religion and it is not our place to preach our views to them in relation to questions asked.

Again as my above post states, I was not trying to be offensive to anyone but trying to understand why people would ask the same questions over & over again. There are actually more posts in this topic on more than the purple thang that have been asked and answered several times. It sure makes for a very long thread when this happens. Obviously it doesn't bother some and for some it makes people wonder just as myself. So....to end the subject for myself and others...it was an honest question and for whatever reason sensitive to some so please accept my apology but also understand that I too love to read through and learn what I can from this board and do read through ALL the topics and posts that intererst me but find it annoying for the same questions to be asked over and over again when answered because they chose not to read through the entire topic. Color me an imperfect human being for this feeling if you must.
I never think it is out of place to quote scripture that helps me to be a kind person...not a religious view...just the words I try to live by and I didn't mean it to be berating...just as a kind word to remind all of us to be kind....including myself.
I love what everyone has to share...even if it is repeated...sometimes I need it to be repeated too.
I would never intend to hurt anyone especially the folks on this board...who I feel as if are a community of friends.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:25 AM

I took a class with Pam Clarke at the IMQS in Overland Park KS earlier this year and she demo the pounce pad. The first thing she says to do is after you fill it with chalk, place it in a large baggie and shake it, (or pounce it) just have to get the chalk worked into the pad really well. Then on the stencil you should have a side that is rougher than the other that is the side that goes toward the quilt. Also it is good to take the stencil outside or in the garage or somewhere where you don't mind making a mess, and rub it over and over on the stencil so that you get the chalk built up. Also it works great if you use just a little basting spray. Once you get the chalk built up in the stencil you don't have to do this every time you want to use it. Just pounce the pad with the cover on the pad then just rub across the stencil and it works like a charm.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Bev

[quote=Kyiav10]
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have a small cutting mat on a lazy Susan - never used it effectively.
Do you mean the 12 by 12 inch one by Olfa?
Gosh, I purchased that when I saw the first ad in a quilt mag. I just KNEW I'd love it, and I do! It's so convenient. I keep it to the right of my sewing machine. It makes cutting anything small very easy. For me at least. But, as someone said, everyone has different likes and dislikes. That's what makes the world go 'round. Right? ;)
Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Bev

To Quiltmaker ... I agree with you about the threads not having been read through. It DOES become annoying to those of us who are following a thread right from the beginning. I think sometimes when a person doesn't have their question answered immediately ie; "What is a purple thang," they begin to think they're being ignored, so they ask again and again until they are answered. Maybe we could solve THAT problem by just jumping in there and answering it even if we're not the one they intended the question for.
And about the religious stuff, you're right. This is not the place for bible preaching. And before anyone questions my saying that, I will tell you, I am a Christian too. But I wouldn't do that in a public forum. :|
Old 11-13-2010, 07:59 AM

I'm not big on buying specific notions though have tried some. I am not afraid to try them several different times over a period and if they don't work for me they go into a garage sale. Problem solved. Where possible when an idea strikes or I see something that looks like it might have promise I try to find something already around that might work better with this new re-purposing. I have a fair number of hardware or office store items that do the same purpose as a "quilting tool" but much more economically. My notions/needles holder is a tackle or small parts carry tote. It holds everything except the cutting tools, mats, scissors, etc.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

When I buy a new quilting tool the first thing I do is go online and read blogs that have write ups about using it. I find many tips and hints that I would have never figured out on my own.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Bev

I've noticed that a lot of times the favorite tool is something that was never even intended for quilters' use. That just shows what creative minds we have!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 AM

Very well said,Sum coop.Thank you