Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 PM

Here I am at page 30 ---- have read the entire thread tonight:-)

Fiskars thread nipper was a bomb, which surprised me.

Try using the envelope openers firms give away. Each opener has a blade and a sharper pointed end to insert in the edge of an envelope. Since I do mostly chain stitching to save on thread, this "free" gadget works wonderfully.

I would hate to be without my homemade Big Board surface on my standard size ironing board with adjustable heights.

:-) Yours truly invested in the tool chest of drawers on casters. I am truly the envy of my brother in laws. Lined with the pebble type rubber mats, my "tools" are easily visible and don't slide around when I open/close the drawers. Also, my equipment is easily moved from one room to another or within a room. The only thing that I regret is that I seem to have no place handy for the upper tool chest from Craftsman for additional storage. I refuse to give up the top surface of the chest of drawers as it is handy for storing cutting mats, cutting, pressing, etc.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 PM

Has anyone used the simplicity deluxe rotary cutting machine?

For thimbles I have used rubber nubby finger cotts from the office supply.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 PM

I love those mecanical pencils! They are the best!!!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:00 AM

I use the purple thang to poke the corners right side out, and as a stiletto. I love mine.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have a small cutting mat on a lazy Susan - never used it effectively.
I can easily picture me....missing a finger or two b/c the lazy susan missed. But that is just me... I cut my finger already just b/c it was over too far!

Kyia
Old 11-13-2010, 02:11 AM

Kitsie

I also like my bobbin tower. I can put my wound bobbins on a tier or so and take just that amount with me for the project etc.
Mine I believe is by clover. Works for me.

Suzy
Old 11-13-2010, 02:20 AM

I also have some of the magnetic bowls, love them. I got mine at Harbor Freight... Use them all the time. Just remember if you are using a computerized sewing machine beware, as these bowls have a pretty strong magnet. I quilt with an old sears kenmore and an old old singer. Wouldn't trade those for all the bells and whistles on the computer machines. My computer machines are nice, but can't say enough about that nice straight stitch you get with the old singers and older mechanical machines.

Suzy
Old 11-13-2010, 02:34 AM

This is for anyone that has a round seam ripper that rolls off the table. Get a piece of tape (scotch, blue painters, masking, etc)twice as long as the distance around (approx. 3"). Put one end on one side and the other end on other side of handle and let the tape come together. So now you have a tail off to the side. Now it shouldn't roll very far. I had to do this for pencils on my drafting table. I hope this is clear. If not, let me know and I'll try again.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I tried the pedicure toe separators for my bobbins and like them just fine.

The marking pens that come with the different colored chalk that's about 1/8" thick. They're red and Hancocks had them out a couple of years ago. GARBAGE!!! They're so hard they move the fabric, so soft they break easily. Tried the one that looks like an automatic pencil and I like it much better. The "press down in the center and twirl this around" circle cutters are a waste too.
those fat chalk markers are the ones I use. Never use the pink, the white doesn't mark very well. The blue is what I use most and am stopping every few minutes to sharpen because the tip breaks. But what is the answer??? Marking on darker fabrics is where I have the most trouble.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:29 AM

what is a pounce, please