Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to with over 1000 cut out squares 2.5" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-over-1000-cut-out-squares-2-5-a-t192671.html)

rrhaigh 06-24-2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5313520)
Here is one we made with scrappy squares. We used solids to make the "paths" that go through diagonally. I am drooling at the thought of all your CW fabrics, yum!

That is a gorgeous quilt and I like the pattern a lot. Great option for my squares. Thank you for the picture. I could use my creamy muslin for the paths.

rrhaigh 06-24-2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 5313711)

Another great option. Thank you!!!!

rrhaigh 06-24-2012 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by bigdogmom (Post 5313688)
check out the book "Civil War Sewing Circle" by Kathleen Tracy. she does a hexagon flower (print center and six surrounding) then appliqués them onto dark squares. Her quilt is with very small hexagons but the idea would work for any size. I have been wanting to make her design. You may then be able to use your gold as a boarder.

I checked out the book on-line at Amazon.com. Before I make up my mind on what to do with my squares, I will order this book. I love CW fabric and it looks like a great book. If I can see her version on the hexagons, that will help me decide what to do. Thank you very much!

So many options :thumbup:

Pat625 06-24-2012 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 5313711)

I love this one!! May start cutting squares from my cut offs from quilts!!

JustAbitCrazy 06-24-2012 04:27 PM

Are you familiar with the pattern "Jack's Chain"? It is the one which uses small squares to make nine patches which are then arranged in a circular pattern very similar to a Double Wedding Ring. The nine patches are joined with triangles inbetween, so the entire quilt is constructed with Y seams, but it's a gorgeous quilt. It is the last pattern in the book "101 Nine Patch Quilts", by Marti Michell.

rrhaigh 06-24-2012 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 5314174)
Are you familiar with the pattern "Jack's Chain"? It is the one which uses small squares to make nine patches which are then arranged in a circular pattern very similar to a Double Wedding Ring. The nine patches are joined with triangles inbetween, so the entire quilt is constructed with Y seams, but it's a gorgeous quilt. It is the last pattern in the book "101 Nine Patch Quilts", by Marti Michell.

I have not heard of that quilt, but I have only been quilting a few years. I will look it up and take a peek! I did learn how to do Y seams. I love 9 patches.

Handcraftsbyjen 06-25-2012 07:41 PM

I think that your colors would be nice in a Grandmothers Flower Garden. Even though they aren't traditional colors, I'd use them. I think it will be nice.

earthwalker 06-25-2012 07:59 PM

Some times stepping out of our usual comfort zone is a good thing. Darker, subtle tones can result in beautiful quilts...I would go with the GFG (but I am addicted to hexies:)).

CAJAMK 06-26-2012 02:44 AM

i like the granny squares idea myself

Noiseynana 06-26-2012 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by rrhaigh (Post 5313465)
I cut out around 1,500 squares 2.5" to make grandmothers flower garden quilt - I was feeling very ambitious. My mistake, I think, is I used Civil War fabrics in reds, blues, greens, golds, tans, browns and a civil war yellow for the center. I have a creamy/goldish muslin for the paths (not cut out yet). Now I am thinking it will be too dark for a grandmothers flower garden quilt and think I should do something else with all these 2.5" cut out squares.

Any suggestions or pattern ideas to use up the 2.5" squares would be greatly appreciated!!!

Or, if you have seen or made a grandmothers flower garden quilt out of Civil War fabrics, please let me know your opinion on how it looks with that type of fabric. I am worried to put that much work into it and not like it.

Well , I suggest that you check yourself in at the nearest mental health clinic. hehehe I can't imagine cutting out that many tiny squares. But you have my respect. Anyone that would do all that work can't be a bad person. hehehe Hope you know I'm only kiddin.