Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What to with over 1000 cut out squares 2.5"

Blog Entries

What to with over 1000 cut out squares 2.5"

I cut out around 1,500 squares 2.5" to make grandmothers flower garden quilt - I was feeling very ambitious. My mistake, I think, is I used Civil War fabrics in reds, blues, greens, golds, tans, browns and a civil war yellow for the center. I have a creamy/goldish muslin for the paths (not cut out yet). Now I am thinking it will be too dark for a grandmothers flower garden quilt and think I should do something else with all these 2.5" cut out squares.

Any suggestions or pattern ideas to use up the 2.5" squares would be greatly appreciated!!!

Or, if you have seen or made a grandmothers flower garden quilt out of Civil War fabrics, please let me know your opinion on how it looks with that type of fabric. I am worried to put that much work into it and not like it.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

I'll admit that most GFG's are done with flowery colors, but there's no rule saying they have to be. I would go ahead and make it with the fabrics you have, and celebrate not following the usual path. Call it "grandmother's fall garden" instead.

Here is one we made with scrappy squares. We used solids to make the "paths" that go through diagonally. I am drooling at the thought of all your CW fabrics, yum!
    Attached Images Attached Images

There's a couple women in my guild doing English paper piecing with civil war fabrics and they are stunning ... Stick with it

as stated elsewhere, no rules about color. if you like these fabrics, use them. if you decide you really do not like them for this quilt, then check out quiltville.com. bonnie hunter is the primo scrap user.
    pdcakm alias pat
    If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson

Blog Entries
    Check out http://www.quiltville.com . You will find a lot of inspiration and free patterns there!

first off i love cw fabric go ahead and finish that and if you could post pic of it done.and ptquilts love what you did with yours to love love it.

Power Poster
    You could just lay some of the pieces out in approximate positions and see what you think of them.

You can also lay out the hexagons in 'diamond' shapes instead of 'round' ones for a different look.

If the fabrics look nice together - why not?

But on the other hand, if you've decided you don't like the fabrics - for anything - than don't waste your time on it.

check out the book "Civil War Sewing Circle" by Kathleen Tracy. she does a hexagon flower (print center and six surrounding) then appliqués them onto dark squares. Her quilt is with very small hexagons but the idea would work for any size. I have been wanting to make her design. You may then be able to use your gold as a boarder.
    Celia

how about granny squares?

I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    Here is one we made with scrappy squares. We used solids to make the "paths" that go through diagonally. I am drooling at the thought of all your CW fabrics, yum!
    That is a gorgeous quilt and I like the pattern a lot. Great option for my squares. Thank you for the picture. I could use my creamy muslin for the paths.
    Robin
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post

Another great option. Thank you!!!!
    Robin
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogmom View Post
    check out the book "Civil War Sewing Circle" by Kathleen Tracy. she does a hexagon flower (print center and six surrounding) then appliqués them onto dark squares. Her quilt is with very small hexagons but the idea would work for any size. I have been wanting to make her design. You may then be able to use your gold as a boarder.
    I checked out the book on-line at Amazon.com. Before I make up my mind on what to do with my squares, I will order this book. I love CW fabric and it looks like a great book. If I can see her version on the hexagons, that will help me decide what to do. Thank you very much!

So many options
    Robin
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post

I love this one!! May start cutting squares from my cut offs from quilts!!

Are you familiar with the pattern "Jack's Chain"? It is the one which uses small squares to make nine patches which are then arranged in a circular pattern very similar to a Double Wedding Ring. The nine patches are joined with triangles inbetween, so the entire quilt is constructed with Y seams, but it's a gorgeous quilt. It is the last pattern in the book "101 Nine Patch Quilts", by Marti Michell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    Are you familiar with the pattern "Jack's Chain"? It is the one which uses small squares to make nine patches which are then arranged in a circular pattern very similar to a Double Wedding Ring. The nine patches are joined with triangles inbetween, so the entire quilt is constructed with Y seams, but it's a gorgeous quilt. It is the last pattern in the book "101 Nine Patch Quilts", by Marti Michell.
    I have not heard of that quilt, but I have only been quilting a few years. I will look it up and take a peek! I did learn how to do Y seams. I love 9 patches.
    Robin
    Southern California

I think that your colors would be nice in a Grandmothers Flower Garden. Even though they aren't traditional colors, I'd use them. I think it will be nice.

Some times stepping out of our usual comfort zone is a good thing. Darker, subtle tones can result in beautiful quilts...I would go with the GFG (but I am addicted to hexies).

i like the granny squares idea myself

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    I cut out around 1,500 squares 2.5" to make grandmothers flower garden quilt - I was feeling very ambitious. My mistake, I think, is I used Civil War fabrics in reds, blues, greens, golds, tans, browns and a civil war yellow for the center. I have a creamy/goldish muslin for the paths (not cut out yet). Now I am thinking it will be too dark for a grandmothers flower garden quilt and think I should do something else with all these 2.5" cut out squares.

Any suggestions or pattern ideas to use up the 2.5" squares would be greatly appreciated!!!

Or, if you have seen or made a grandmothers flower garden quilt out of Civil War fabrics, please let me know your opinion on how it looks with that type of fabric. I am worried to put that much work into it and not like it.
    Well , I suggest that you check yourself in at the nearest mental health clinic. hehehe I can't imagine cutting out that many tiny squares. But you have my respect. Anyone that would do all that work can't be a bad person. hehehe Hope you know I'm only kiddin.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Blog Entries
    I love the civil war prints also and if it was me I would go for it! I think it would be a stunning quilt. I never got into the thirties materials. I always gravitate toward the civil war and things along that line.

Just saw a beautiful quilt with a lot of little squares in the photos section posted by terri bb. The subject of the post was "my take on arkansas " and yes, it was all lower case and included a smilie face made with a colon and parenthesis not a real smilie that this one will probably change to when I post it, but not the quotation marks. I think you could even use the squares to make the parts with the slanted cream colored pieces. Start with a large cream square and two small print squares and sew across the diagonal of the small squares and trim off the corners. Really shouldn't be too hard to figure out with your sized squares.

Now I went back and it was changed to a real smilie face, so it may or may not be with the colon/parenthesis.
    Last edited by MarthaT; 06-26-2012 at 04:55 AM.
    Thimble and Thread

Your original plan and fabric choices would be wonderful - all the more eye catching because of the different look. Dunster is right Robin: "Call it "grandmother's fall garden" instead."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ragqueen03 View Post
    I love the civil war prints also and if it was me I would go for it! I think it would be a stunning quilt. I never got into the thirties materials. I always gravitate toward the civil war and things along that line.
    Same here. I gravitate to the Civil War and more muted fabrics, although I love batiks. I think I will make a few flowers and lay them on the path muslin fabric and see what I think. When I originally posted I doubted I would continue with this fabric, but now I think just might give it a try.
    Robin
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
    Your original plan and fabric choices would be wonderful - all the more eye catching because of the different look. Dunster is right Robin: "Call it "grandmother's fall garden" instead."
    Yes, that would be a great name for the quilt!
    Robin
    Southern California

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast