Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What to with over 1000 cut out squares 2.5"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
    Just saw a beautiful quilt with a lot of little squares in the photos section posted by terri bb. The subject of the post was "my take on arkansas " and yes, it was all lower case and included a smilie face made with a colon and parenthesis not a real smilie that this one will probably change to when I post it, but not the quotation marks. I think you could even use the squares to make the parts with the slanted cream colored pieces. Start with a large cream square and two small print squares and sew across the diagonal of the small squares and trim off the corners. Really shouldn't be too hard to figure out with your sized squares.

Now I went back and it was changed to a real smilie face, so it may or may not be with the colon/parenthesis.

Wow, I went and looked at the quilt picture. It is stunning and you are right - would be a great use of all my squares. Now, I have so many beautiful options and I just want to make them all!!! This is when I freeze up, afraid to make the wrong choice and just sit and look at the fabric forever dreaming.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

If you still like the fabrics and want to do the GFG I would make it as planned. Before I started my GFG I surfed the web and found lots and lots of GFG that were not the traditional 30's GFG. All were stunning in their own way. I've seen beautiful GFG's done in all black and white, in all batiks, I think a civil war fabric GFG would be beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Would a postage stamp quilt work, i love cw fabric also and did a lap this way.
    Mary

I love your idea of using the CW fabrics for a GFG quilt, but you could also consider making a Cathedral Window quilt using all your 2 1/2" sqs. I know you have more sqs cut out than needed for a Cathedral Window quilt, but you could make more than one, lol!
    Don't sing of yesterday; yesterday is gone. Tomorrow isn't written. Make today your song.

Blog Entries
    I recently made a scrappy quilt that I think would look great in the fabrics you described. I wrote up piecing instructions because I taught it at a local shop and I included four options on how to pieces the quilt, including using individually cut 2.5" squares. If you like the quilt and are interested in the instructions, feel free to PM me. Also, I'd love to see what you decide to do, so be sure to post pictures. Good luck!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Buy Fonz and Porters book on scraps .Their use of squares is amazing.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

Kathy Tracy has a group=smallquilttalk where the groups dose quilts using CW fabrics. They are getting hexs' for the Oct small quilt so you could check that out too for ideas for all your CW squares.We've been making 1 quilt a month out of 1 of her 4 books.
    Kathy Osterby

How about a Cathedral Window - all by hand. They're beautiful.

Blog Entries
    I think I would go ahead and use them. I love the CW colors and think you might really like it once you're finished. You must like those colors to have them in the first place, right? Even thought most GFG's are in pastels or florals...this is your quilt. Do it your way.

My MIL made a gorgeous GFG with black for the diagonal crossed paths, a fairly bright pink for the background, and all sorts of prints (including pieces of SIL old candy striper uniform) for the hexes in the flowers. The quilt survived nearly 30 years of constant use, although it had gotten too threadbare to use, but was lost when our house burned in 2000. That's probably what happened to the pictures too.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    Here is one we made with scrappy squares. We used solids to make the "paths" that go through diagonally. I am drooling at the thought of all your CW fabrics, yum!
    I know... between the thought of all those little Civil Wat squares & the darling puppies in your avatar, it's a wonder I'm not headed your way right this very instant!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Robin, I promise the quilt police will not come to your house! Go ahead and make that quilt as you planned - it'll be wonderful!! And please post a photo of your progress along the way!!
    Regards,
    Debbie

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I'm a Civil war fabric fanatic and think it would be beautiful!!! I think any quilt with Civil war fabric is stunning though.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    how about granny squares?

That is what I was thinking!!!
    Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly

ok, my question is, "How do you make a GFG from squares?" I thought they are cut from hexigons.
    Marge

Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    I cut out around 1,500 squares 2.5" to make grandmothers flower garden quilt - I was feeling very ambitious. My mistake, I think, is I used Civil War fabrics in reds, blues, greens, golds, tans, browns and a civil war yellow for the center. I have a creamy/goldish muslin for the paths (not cut out yet). Now I am thinking it will be too dark for a grandmothers flower garden quilt and think I should do something else with all these 2.5" cut out squares.

Any suggestions or pattern ideas to use up the 2.5" squares would be greatly appreciated!!!

Or, if you have seen or made a grandmothers flower garden quilt out of Civil War fabrics, please let me know your opinion on how it looks with that type of fabric. I am worried to put that much work into it and not like it.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

i think that tho it may be darker than traditional gfg....made w all these civil war repros in the beautiful shades & tones....a gfg made with them would be exceedingly elegant. do it!! and i saw online somewhere a gfg with a gold tone...sorta antique gold as the pathway with nontraditional flowers...it was stunning. lots of complements from others on the posting.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Here's a nine patch using small squares: http://www.fonsandporter.com/content...PatchRings.pdf

I love the Granny Squares!! Have crocheted GS, but haven't seen GS quilt blocks!! There is s quilt block similar to this where the center 5 blocks are all white or cream colors and individuals sign the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    how about granny squares?

So I suggest you do it because you love the fabric! Could be a new version of Grandmother's flower garden! No one says you have to do something because everyone else does!!! Do it because you love the fabric and feels right to you!
    Love 4 stchen

Love it! Great job
    Love 4 stchen

what to do with 1,000 2.5" blocks

You could send them to me!! Send my a PM.
    Kathy Phillips

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djrl View Post
    Here's a nine patch using small squares: http://www.fonsandporter.com/content...PatchRings.pdf
    Very nice quilt/pattern. Thank you for sharing it!!!
    Robin
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyPhillips View Post
    You could send them to me!! Send my a PM.
    Wow, and then you will send them back all put together??? Sounds like the best option so far!!! ha ha
    Robin
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
    i think that tho it may be darker than traditional gfg....made w all these civil war repros in the beautiful shades & tones....a gfg made with them would be exceedingly elegant. do it!! and i saw online somewhere a gfg with a gold tone...sorta antique gold as the pathway with nontraditional flowers...it was stunning. lots of complements from others on the posting.
    Thank you so much for sharing about the nontraditional gfg quilt. I am inspired to give it a shot. I do love the fabric I have.
    Robin
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby View Post
    Kathy Tracy has a group=smallquilttalk where the groups dose quilts using CW fabrics. They are getting hexs' for the Oct small quilt so you could check that out too for ideas for all your CW squares.We've been making 1 quilt a month out of 1 of her 4 books.
    I joined smallquilttalk and found the hexagon quilt you mentioned. It does look very nice with the CW fabrics. She even used dark pathways. I read her blog - didn't know the hexagons were used back in CW time - sometimes called mosiac or honeycomb quilts. I am going to make up a few today - thank you for great info! .Lots of nice little quilts! Very inspiring. OMG, now I must buy her book - another quilt pathway I need to wander down! So much to learn, so much to do.
    Robin
    Southern California

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast