Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what is scrap and what is trash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-scrap-what-trash-t132021.html)

SparkMonkey 06-21-2011 04:28 AM

I save everything larger than a 1" square. I have always done this, even before I took up quilting. I guess I knew where my true destiny was. :D I have a 3-tier system of organization: scraps, which is anything larger than an index card; strips, anything longer than it is wide and at least 1" wide; and crumbs, which is everything else.

I also save most batting scraps larger than an index card.

noveltyjunkie 06-21-2011 04:35 AM

My whole stash would be junk to some of you! I mostly only buy FQs and I keep three different bags of leftovers, the smallest of which might be 1 inch by half an inch. I use them for making things for our dolls house. The dolls have some really great scappies- 50% of the weight in them would be thread!

QuiltnNan 06-21-2011 04:52 AM

i keep everything but the pieces too narrow to put the needle through. one never knows when one needs just that perfect color.

pocoellie 06-21-2011 05:06 AM

I keep even the tiniest scraps, even pieces of thread for thread bowls. I think it's a personal preference.

quilttiludrop 06-21-2011 05:15 AM

The Mid Valley Quilt Guild has a table people can bring their "leftovers" to donate for charity quilts. Also smaller scraps are saved to be recycled into new fabric (or paper?. I think it's a great idea!

nyelphaba 06-21-2011 05:17 AM

I do make scrap quilts, so I save all small pieces. The really small ones are great for string quilts-which I love. When the blocks are finished and have been trimmed up, I save the tiny pieces in a bucket on my sewing table. I use these to make toys for my dogs. Use an old sock or knee high, stuff scraps into it to your desired size, tie a knot and you have a toy for the dog(s). I make them of varied sizes and stuffieness and my dogs love them.

lbaillie 06-21-2011 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I've taken the very small pieces and the 1/8 - 1/4" spagetti strips and put them in a box. I took my extra heavy duty chenille scissors and snipped them up even smaller (while watching tv). Just stuck the scissors in the box & snipped. I took the confetti & used it as mulch around my perennials. 100% cotton is biodegradeable. I know that the colors will fade in the sun, but it looks like it's doing a good job as mulch and looks so pretty.

what an idea, I love it

quiltingaz 06-21-2011 05:41 AM

I keep only 2 inch squares or larger or strips wider than 1 1/2 inches. Anything odd shaped ,scrap batting or thread gets collected by our guild to make dog beds for the humane society.

Barb44 06-21-2011 06:29 AM

I save everything. Right now I have 2 large Rubbermaid totes of unsorted scraps. When I get around to sorting I will decide what to keep. But I won't throw anything away. There is always someone who wants crumbs, even selvages, so I will give them away. If I can't find anyone who wants them, they will go in the compost bin.

dglvr 06-21-2011 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by klc
Yep! I keep everything! The little pieces come in handy for applique.

Yeap my too. I have a very large tote I just throw all the scraps in and they come in very handy down the road. :thumbup: