Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what is scrap and what is trash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-scrap-what-trash-t132021.html)

kwhite 06-21-2011 06:40 AM

Have you tried "bottom line" thread? It is really thin like silk. It would be awsome for these small quilts.

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
My whole stash would be junk to some of you! I mostly only buy FQs and I keep three different bags of leftovers, the smallest of which might be 1 inch by half an inch. I use them for making things for our dolls house. The dolls have some really great scappies- 50% of the weight in them would be thread!

AliKat 06-21-2011 07:32 AM

This is too funny.

I just spent a few days cutting scraps into 2 1/2" and 3" squares and strips. I started with a few large grocery bags. I now have 2 full ziplock bags with the squares and a few grocery bags full of the too small pieces. I have sorted but not cut the strips yet as I was doing this at someone else's home.

All the scraps go to our local Humane Society for pet bedding.

However, after doing all this and hardly making a dent in the fabric, or so it seems. My new pledge is noting less that 3" ... and bigger is preferred.

I'll donate the rest of the sizable pieces to one of my quilting groups for others to use.

I, hopefully, will be making the squares and strips as I go from now on. Notice I said 'hopefully.'

ali

Ramona Byrd 06-21-2011 07:37 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Just don't even think of disposing of any thing in MY sewing junk..sorry, sewing stuff.

luvTooQuilt 06-21-2011 07:39 AM

I wanna come over and play!!! Lol

Originally Posted by gaigai
I am not a scrap quilter, so I don't keep anything smaller than a half yard (and probably shouldn't keep those). I tend to buy a minimum of three yards of anything, and if I like the fabric a lot, I'll buy the whole bolt.

Anything smaller than an 1/2 yard goes into a big tub of scraps that I seldom look at.

I also have a lot of FQ's, but I've stopped buying them because I don't think I've ever used any. (And please, no pm's asking to me to sell/donate etc)

My rationale now is that they are BAIT!! A certain friend of mine here on the board, loves scrappy quilts. When she was here recently, I let her go through and take what she wanted. We shipped a 23 lb. box home to her. So the rest are BAIT to entice her to come back and play! LOL

Well back on subject- everyon is different in what they want or can use. I'm a scrappy quilter and I love crumb quilts. So anything smaller than 1inch half sq is trash ( or stuffing).... And selvages I do not keep either...

Rose L 06-21-2011 08:00 AM

I keep and use everything that is 1.5" square and larger. I do not however keep selvages. I have to draw the line somewhere, LOL!

Mimito2 06-21-2011 08:03 AM

I keep everything. If it is not big enough for applique or another project I stuff a pillow with it.

QultingaddictUK 06-21-2011 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by blueangel
Sometimes I keep the scraps for stuffing a pillow.

Me too, I make fur baby's beds, even put the thread pieces in :shock:

auntmag 06-21-2011 09:04 AM

What a clever idea!! I just might try it.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I've taken the very small pieces and the 1/8 - 1/4" spagetti strips and put them in a box. I took my extra heavy duty chenille scissors and snipped them up even smaller (while watching tv). Just stuck the scissors in the box & snipped. I took the confetti & used it as mulch around my perennials. 100% cotton is biodegradeable. I know that the colors will fade in the sun, but it looks like it's doing a good job as mulch and looks so pretty.

sewwhat85 06-21-2011 10:44 AM

anything i can cut a 1 1/2 inch block out of is scrap under that is trash and any triangle that can be sewn together to make a 1 1/2 inch block is a keeper

jitkaau 06-22-2011 02:51 AM

I keep it all.