Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What sewing machine do I buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-sewing-machine-do-i-buy-t21942.html)

STAR 06-27-2009 02:17 PM

WOW!! that's far.

zkosh 06-27-2009 02:35 PM

I just had another thought to pass on. My MIL had purchased my Pfaff in Longview and then moved to Houston so the store that sold it is not here in my area. When I went online I found out that Pfaff has videos online to demonstrate how to use various things on the machine. It's not like face to face, but it definitely was helpful. I imagine there are other videos like this that could help. I know on both the Pfaff and the Bernina website there is a lot of info as well as videos. It would be a way for you to start to find out what is available. :-)

quiltwoman 06-27-2009 03:24 PM

That's a hard question because there are so many different brands w/ different options. I started out w/ a machine from Wal-mart. I bought it 20 years ago with my first paycheck. It cost $89 and I had NO clue how to use it.

Since then, I have purchased 4 more machines. Some were less than $200 and one cost more than my first car. I'd try to determine what was absolutely necessary for you to be happy completing a quilt. Then, I would set a buget. Try out machines and don't be hesitant to look at used ones too. I'd try to get the most for my $$.

blahel 06-27-2009 05:55 PM

this is what i would do if i was buying a machine now...go to different dealers and try their machines and try all kinds with different features that way you will find what you like and need in a machine. Take your time and dont rush into it...Talk to lots of people..go to a local quilt group and see what they use thats where i found lots of useful info after i bought my machine...
Buy from a dealer and get lessons so you can use your machine to its fullest. Also get to know your dealer so when you need to service your machine or get it repaired you need someone you trust. Find out how much a machine is to service as the computerised ones cost more to service..
these are all thing I didnt do and definitely would do as a machine is expensive and an investment. Look at used ones as i bought mine used a couple of years ago and have had no trouble.
The features that i would look for are what feet come with machine and if you love quilting try to get a walking foot thrown in as they can be expensive!! Also see if you can get a 1/4 inch foot and a darning foot thrown in as these are all feet I had to buy afterwards..
Decide what you need in a machine ie do you really need an embroidery machine as a lot of the machines come with so many stitches. i bought a Bernina Artiste 180 with embroidery hoops and all but have not used the embroidery bits at all yet as i have not had lessons and the shop i bought from i found out afterwards that the guy who owns it is not trustworthy (this i heard from several people afterwards)
I do love my machine and even if your machine is basic try to get one with the needle up/down feature as that is one feature i do love on mine. Also when testing machines some are noisier and some are smoother so look out for that as well. Another thing is throat space.. get a machine with as much throat space as possible if you have a choice on that.. Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with

STAR 06-28-2009 09:34 PM

SO much good information!! well my next question is since I have never used a machine before how do I "try them out?' I wouldn't even be sure if I could keep the stitch going straight, LOL. am I just trying which one feels comfortable to use?

amma 06-28-2009 09:46 PM

When you go into one of the dealers, let them know that you have never used a machine before. They will walk you through it. Ask them for brochures if they have them, take notes, and don't be afraid to ask them questions, it is there job to give you any and all info on their machines. If you don't understand something or get overloaded with info you can always come back here to get more opinions or suggestions and help!! But most of all have fun playing with all of the different functions these new machines have to offer :D 8) :D

STAR 06-28-2009 10:00 PM

thanx amma! I just didn't want them to blow me off or try to tell me I needed the most expensive machine out there when I already have my own two hands, :lol:

tlrnhi 06-28-2009 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
25 - 30 miles away? That's a walk in the park. My nearest dealer is the ONLY one in the country, and he's on the other side - almost 200 miles! If I had wanted lessons, he doesn't do them, and I would have had to go to London. Now you know how much I really like my Bernina.

At least you HAVE one in your country. There are no places except KMart to buy a machine here and NO ONE here fixes them!

STAR 06-28-2009 10:57 PM

well i guess i don't have it bad at all!!

tlrnhi 06-28-2009 11:12 PM

I would suggest that when buying a machine....think about what you want to do with it. Then, from there, start pricing them.
I think the $$$$$$ ones can and will do the same job as a $$ machine. You really don't need all the bells and whistles to make anything great.
I'll admit, I have over 100 stitches that my machine will do, but I have yet to use them all.
You get what you can afford and what you feel comfortable with. I know a lady who went and bought a cheap $100 machine from Walmart and puts out some AWESOME things with that.
Just my 2 cents!