Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What sewing machine do I buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-sewing-machine-do-i-buy-t21942.html)

STAR 06-28-2009 11:30 PM

thats what I was thinking of for my first one just something really cheap so that i can learn the basics, but all those other ones are so PRETTY and sound so NICE it just makes you want one. I m sure i will only be using one stitch for a long time :lol: Then again I don't want to regret not getting something that had a little more.

tlrnhi 06-28-2009 11:40 PM

I learned to sew on my Mom's Singer Touch N Sew.
When I got married and started making clothes for my girls, my mom and dad bought me a cheap $80 Singer. I used that for about 20 years and ended up giving it away. It needed a HUGE cleaning and that was going to cost me about $100, so didn't feel I needed to pay that. I did have a Kenmore standby that I used. That one is probably about 15 years old and works great too!
My main machine is a Kenmore Ergo3. It retailed at the time for almost $2000 and I got it for about 1/2 that. What I liked was that it had the embroidery machine built in as well, so I "bit the bullet" and bought it. I just love it! I've had it for about 4 years now and it's going great!

STAR 06-28-2009 11:51 PM

what a deal though! my husband wants to buy me a machine and keeps aking which one i want but I don't know thats why I started asking here. He seea all those fancy ones that do all the awesome embroidery, which I also like. but it seemed that you could buy so many different embroidery software that I was intimidated by this. Do you have to buy different cartridges or software for your machine? just wondering if that is an added cost.

Skeat 06-28-2009 11:53 PM

My good 'hand' quilting friend did the same as you:)She went around and tried everyone's machines and bought a Janome like mine;)She just finished a flannel quilt on it!:)You won't be sorry!:)You can go to the site direct of machines, such as janome and select what features you are interested in and the list of machines will pop up:)(helps with learning different options)I started out w/the janome 3200 and have since upgraded to the 6600 for more speed and a bigger throat area to make machine quilting on it easier. Was doing all of it on the 3200...which worked fine...just tight on those bigger quilts:)Good luck and enjoy the search!Skeat

STAR 06-28-2009 11:56 PM

thanx skeat i need all the help i can get :-)

k3n 06-29-2009 12:39 AM

I'd back up what Terri said by saying start with a basic cheap one - we all quilt differently and the features indispensible to some of us a re useless to others - you need to discover what kind of machine quilter you are first! Just my 2 cents!

tlrnhi 06-29-2009 01:56 AM

Exactly! You can pick up an inexpensive Singer at Walmart or even a Brother at Kmart. Won't cost you over $100 until you get the hang of it.

tlrnhi 06-29-2009 02:00 AM

Darn tootin, Loretta!
I'd love to have a $5000 machine, but will it do something different than the one I have? Probably not. Might have a bigger throat for FMQ, but if I'm going to spend that much on a machine, it better cook dinner for me and draw me a nice bubble bath too! :)

tlrnhi 06-29-2009 02:07 AM

LOL Loretta, mine too!
There were no free lessons for mine since I bought it at Sears. But, I did find a Yahoo Group that helped me tremdously.

Tink's Mom 06-29-2009 02:17 AM

I've read all the posts, and I think the most important thing to do is to test drive a machine....Go to all the sewing machine dealers in your area, and check out the machine that they recommend to you, and a few others...just explain to the sales person that you are just trying to find a good fit for you... they will understand.....PLEASE, make sure that you get a machine with a strong enough motor, quilting takes it's toll. Many of the cheapy machines can't handle 1/2 hour of stippling without shutting down...
P.S. I have worked for a dealer for many years, and have helped many newbies find the right machine for their needs. Good Luck, Susie