Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What should I charge to make a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-should-i-charge-make-quilt-t267291.html)

bee3 07-07-2015 01:52 AM

I never thought to charge family or friends, I couldn't. If someone asks for something to be made, and they insist on materials, thats great, it will help, but otherwise, I have never charged my own family.

Sandygirl 07-07-2015 02:48 AM

Nope. The quilt is for a boyfriend....not family. Charge an appropriate price or this thing will snowball into more quilts...as mentioned earlier. For me, no is my answer.

Sandy

paoberle 07-07-2015 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 (Post 7249334)
I would charge her for the fabric and batting etc. And then at least 6 cents a square inch for the quilting. If she doesn't want to spend that much give her the name or contact information for someone else.

6 cents per square inch for quilting? That's high unless it is very dense and intricate quilting and this is for family.

mpspeedy2 07-07-2015 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle (Post 7249830)
6 cents per square inch for quilting? That's high unless it is very dense and intricate quilting and this is for family.

Did I mention that I am a "handquilter" I only machine quilt the Linus blankets I make because they will be washed a lot as they are for children.

angelarose 07-07-2015 03:45 AM

I wouldn't charge my MIL for making the quilt. Yes, I would have her pay for the fabric, including the backing and the batting if there's a specific kind of look she wants re the batting. The quilting itself is another story. I'd do Stitch in the Ditch myself but if she wants another pattern of quilting I'd confer with her on sending it out professionally.
Also, I'd tell her the work of putting it together is my offering to her.
I've made quilts for friends' grandchildren, fun quilts to make them smile. Charged only for the fabric.

ManiacQuilter2 07-07-2015 04:14 AM

People who DO NOT quilt, they don't understand the expensive. I would take her shopping and let her buy all your supplies. She is family and there is NOTHING WORST than having an upset MIL who thinks you overcharged her.

huskyquilter 07-07-2015 05:20 AM

I would charge her for supplies plus $200. If it was for her, I'd just make it and give it to her as a surprise for her birthday or something, but since it's for her boyfriend, and it's a gift from her to him, not you to him I think you should charge a reasonable, if discounted price. Also, keep a diary of the time you spend working on it, and when you give her the completed quilt, you can show it to her and calculate what your hourly rate ended up lol. That will also make her think twice about asking in the future and it will make you more aware of what you should charge if this comes up in the future. I agree that if you only charge for materials word will get out and pretty soon you'll be overwhelmed with requests. Trust me, they will come out of the woodwork.

Geri B 07-07-2015 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 7249806)
Nope. The quilt is for a boyfriend....not family. Charge an appropriate price or this thing will snowball into more quilts...as mentioned earlier. For me, no is my answer.

Sandy

...me too.....boyfriends come and go......

tessagin 07-07-2015 07:00 AM

I agree. This way she can also say it came from her. And yes you can have a BF at 70. I have a friend who has adopted my "SOSE" for her friend and he the same for her. They spend a lot of time together. SOSE (my definition)= Significant Other/Spousal Equivalent! or some say GF (Gentleman Friend).

Originally Posted by romille (Post 7249324)
http://thesweetteagirls.danemcoweb.c...-die-hard-fan/

I have never made a quilt on commission, what would you suggest?

My mother in law wants me to make the above quilt in a twin size, to give as a Christmas gift to her boyfriend. Since it is for family, I don't really want to charge her... but she is insisting. (isn't it weird to use a term like BF for someone that is nearly 70?)

annette1952 07-07-2015 08:12 AM

I, too would have her pay for all fabrics & supplies. As far as labor you can negotiate for her only.