Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What size is it scrap? And how to store! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-scrap-how-store-t263483.html)

EmiliasNana 04-03-2015 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by RST (Post 7150762)
The method or storage system to use is the one that works for you.

I am transitioning for a lifetime of "keep every scrap, don't cut until you need it, waste nothing" to a policy of "make it easy to find and use". So I like a plan that gets the scraps out of huge bins and into readily usable shapes and sizes.

Me too. I don't like searching for a given color so would rather have them sorted by color and size. I can't do chaos. I fold anything over a yard on comic boards. Fold FQ's together by color, and cut remaining 'scraps' in 2 1/2" strips, 5" sqs, or 2 1/2" squares. Selvages of 1" go into a bag and the rest is trash or filling for dog beds. I still have boxes to go, but I am getting there and find I use more of my stash this way. To each his own.

salemrabbits 04-04-2015 03:27 AM

I have a system that works for me, but most of my quilting buddies would say it was crazy. Usually I get scraps and crumbs from my buddies- I am a scrap quilter for sure. I trim the gifties into usable sizes and sometimes strips for string blocks. 1-1/2" squares to 5" ones and use the rest of the usable trimmings for crumbs. Anything that you can't get seams in to make a crumb block goes into the current animal bed pillow. I am working on a postage stamp quilt with the 1 -1/2" blocks, and have almost 1000 5" crumb blocks in a container, I like variety with them so when I want to do stress free quilting I play with them! (you see what I like best?) I have enough stash to keep me happy for the rest of my quilting years.

flikkem 04-04-2015 05:40 AM

Storing scraps

The smallest scraps I keep are two inch.
I bought stacking small drawer units and store my scraps in these. It has been a very efficient way to deal with these scraps.

judee0624 04-04-2015 01:31 PM

Our guild had a guest speaker this month who is a professional organizer and quilter. she organizes her scraps in bags by color to use later in applique' I am going to try this. I have saved anything less than a fat quarter in a bin. Some I give to another guyild member who then uses them in quilts for charity. Some I cut into 2" strips for log cabin blocks.

My time 04-04-2015 01:34 PM

I don't throw away anything either. I store all my scraps by width. I use shoe boxes for my scraps. Don't know if this helps but here is what works for me.
1. Under 2 inch
2. 2 to 21/2 inch
3. Under 4 inch.
4. Assorted squares
5, Assorted pieces of batiks

For my larger pieces I went to the dollar store and bought some plastic shoe boxes for anything fat quarter size to 1 yard, I have about 8 of these. Anything bigger than a yard is folded in a large plastic totes. I have 4 of these. I like all my fabric folded and organized to look like book bindings. It just makes looking for fabric much easier. Hope this makes sense?

Grammahunt 04-05-2015 06:05 AM

I sort my fabrics into 1. yardage, 2. large pieces (more than 1/2 yard but less than yardage), 3. Large pieces (anything I can cut a few squares from), and 4. Crumbs (I can use for paper piecing until they get just too small), 5. Dog bedding.

stella63 04-05-2015 08:56 AM

Thank u all. I've only been sewing/quilting for only two years so it's all new and I'm feeling my way x just shocked in how many small cut bits well smaller than a fat quarter I've accumulated and I'm not even a prolific sewer! ! So now I have some ideas I will try and chose what way to go with them. I nearly just threw them out of sheer frustration on not knowing a good way to go x so you've all saved the day or my scraps in any case lol

jlm5419 04-05-2015 10:07 AM

I keep scraps of almost any size; in fact, my sister saves her scraps for me too. I like scrappy quilts, and even small scraps come in handy for applique work. I have a couple of plastic containers with drawers, sorting the fabrics by color value.

annesthreads 04-05-2015 11:28 PM

I'm in the disorganised school of scrap storage. I just have 2 crates and they all go in there. I do also store strips in drawers, sorted by width. But they're just for fabric that's already been cut into strips - I never get around to cutting up scraps until I need them. I keep wondering if I should do some work on them and get them sorted more coherently, but I have too much else to do!