Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size is it scrap? And how to store! >

What size is it scrap? And how to store!

What size is it scrap? And how to store!

Old 04-02-2015, 04:57 AM

Default What size is it scrap? And how to store!

I've got some new storage cabinets (Thank goodness) and I have started to sort out my fabric . I'm stressing over how to judge when a piece of fabric is classed as scrap and how to store them when it is scrap. I seem to have so much I need to do a few scrappy quilts I think! X What size does your fabric become scrap and how u store it? X
Old 04-02-2015, 05:12 AM

I think anything, any size, if you want to keep it, it's a scrap! Store it how ever you want. Are you obsessive, then iron it, fold it and store it. If not, then keep it how ever is easiest for you. My scraps are in bags and boxes and when I need something I just dig through it until I find what I want. Not totally disorganized! I do sort by color.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:21 AM

Hi, I've been getting into the habit of cutting my scraps down to useful sizes. You might like one of these links: http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml or http://hummingbird-highway.com/do-yo...-scraptherapy/. I've used tips from both of these sites, and they have great scrappy patterns, too.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:58 AM

I think definition of a "scrap" varies from person to person. My own definition has changed; now I consider fat quarters to be scraps! (That's not a bad thing, btw, scrappy quilts are my favorites)

I have two bins for scraps - "big scraps" and "little scraps". My big scraps are anything I can cut to a "regular" size; my little scraps are more like what people call "crumbs" I think. Ever so often I go through and chop up my "big" scraps into strips, squares and rectangles and sort those into my little drawer bins. Those go into my "scrappy" quilts. The irregular small "little scraps" get used in my "crazy" quilts.

My "big scraps" are sometimes pretty large. I like to use LOF for cutting borders and I keep my backing trimmings so I end up with a lot of pieces that are a couple yards long by anywhere from 3 to 12 inches wide - I consider those scraps unless it's a good blender or solid and there's enough to border another quilt; then I'll bundle that up separately. But if it's a specific print I don't think I'll use again anytime soon...into the scrap bin it goes! I toss fat quarters in there too, unless it's a really special fabric or something I bought for a specific project. Even half-yards will end up in there sometimes - sometimes I buy a fabric online and it's just not what I wanted once I get it. Into the scrap bin it goes!

I've yet to meet a fabric I couldn't chop up small enough to make it work in a scrappy/crazy quilt.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

About anything smaller then a 5-6 inch square goes into my scrap bin. I do not re-cut my scraps until I need a little piece.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 AM

As I finish a project, if more than half a yard, I fold, if less I cut into 2 1/2 strips if full width, if smaller 2 1/2 squares. 5 in strips if full width and 5 in squares, strips can be used as borders or binding. 5 in squares are charm pack size. And 1 1/2 strips with left overs.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Anything skinnier than 2.5" and smaller than a charm goes in my scrap bin. Anything smaller than 1.5" goes in the container storing scraps for dog beds.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:06 AM

Anything less than 1/4 yard is scrap to me. I do have separate bins for scraps--one for WOF strips, one for less than 5"square pieces and one for everything in between! I leave all scraps in the largest size as is and only cut them down when using them.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

I agree. That smaller scrap may just be the right size you need but only the slightest trim. If I have a 3" scrap, I don't cut it down to a 2 1/2". I just might need that 3".
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
About anything smaller then a 5-6 inch square goes into my scrap bin. I do not re-cut my scraps until I need a little piece.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:00 AM

Oh boy. I save *everything*! I'm currently in my no-waste mode.

Over 1/4 yard I store folded up in one area. Under 1/4 yard I cut up into smaller squares or rectangles, whatever works. I store those in bins which are marked with the size. I'll use them for a crazy quilt later. Or a border.

I try to have a piece of every fabric go into the bin of scraps that are at least 2.5" wide. Those scraps I'm sewing onto adding machine tape, to be used as a border later.

Anything that could be used for an I Spy quilt gets cut up into 5" squares. I save 5 of each for myself (for quilts for nieces/nephews), and trade the rest on-line.

I cut up the leftovers from all that into 1.5" squares, to be used for a postage stamp quilt. Or to be traded on-line.

The leftovers (crumbs) from all of the above gets tossed into one of several drawers. I sew those pieces together randomly until they're big enough to cut into a 5" square, which I'll use for a scrap quilt later.

Whew!