Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What size scraps do you save? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-scraps-do-you-save-t221194.html)

Jackie R 05-10-2013 05:17 PM

What size scraps do you save?

Just interested in what size scraps you save and what size is tossed in the trash? Thanks.

DebraK 05-10-2013 05:24 PM

if I can get a 2" square out of a piece of fabric, I do it. i have a small box I throw crumbs into. Sometimes I use them to make fabric, sometimes I give them away.

bluteddi 05-10-2013 05:26 PM

rarely does ANY fabric get tossed into the trash here.. scraps get cut into strips and squares,,,, then into the " scrap bin" snipets and trimmings go into anoth bin for pillows, toys stuffings etc..... but then I've been called miserly before.... :-)

ArtsyOne 05-10-2013 05:27 PM

I throw away anything under 1/2". Everything else can be used for strip quilts, even those 1" pieces that get snipped off at the end of a strip can be used.

DebraK 05-10-2013 05:27 PM

oh yes, I forgot about strips ;-) I keep those too.

Halo 05-10-2013 05:44 PM

I throw nothing away. I use all my scraps no matter how small. I use them as starters & enders on my other projects. Like the small triangles I trim off, I sew them together, then start another block. When I come to the end of sewing a seam, I will will put two tiny triangles together (called an ender) & continue sewing, then cut the first block seam away from that. Then start another block seam behind the small triangle (called a starter). It also makes use of the thread strings you usually cut off. Saves thread also as you have used the trow away thread strings. When I have several of the made up, I will then use them again as starter & enders to make star blocks, 9 patch or whatever. I have several star blocks that are only 4 inches square & 9 patches that are 2 1/2 inches square. I even save 1/2 inch strips to wind around cloths line rope to make bowls & hot pads. They make great gifts.

Nanny's dollface 05-10-2013 05:56 PM

I keep everything and make HSTs out of left over triangle cuts or make my own crazy fabric then square everything up. i just read an article on string quilts, which are absolutely beautiful- didn't know that is what I was making with my narrow strips. I have been in between jobs and quilting is something that I have been teaching myself so all fabric is precious to me.

Jingle 05-10-2013 06:05 PM

Sometimes I save 1" strips for rail fence quilts. Everything else must be about 1-1/2" and larger. I don't need enders and leaders, neither of my two stand by machines do not eat fabric. Only oil.

Tartan 05-10-2013 06:08 PM

Anything narrower than an inch and 1/2 goes in the junk box for tieing up things (if they are long.) Short and skinny goes in the trash.

Lori S 05-10-2013 06:47 PM

Strips under 1/2 inch, or fabric chunks under 1 inch square. Everything else goes into some scrappy project.