Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What size scraps do you save?

Blog Entries

What size scraps do you save?

Just interested in what size scraps you save and what size is tossed in the trash? Thanks.

if I can get a 2" square out of a piece of fabric, I do it. i have a small box I throw crumbs into. Sometimes I use them to make fabric, sometimes I give them away.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

rarely does ANY fabric get tossed into the trash here.. scraps get cut into strips and squares,,,, then into the " scrap bin" snipets and trimmings go into anoth bin for pillows, toys stuffings etc..... but then I've been called miserly before.... :-)

I throw away anything under 1/2". Everything else can be used for strip quilts, even those 1" pieces that get snipped off at the end of a strip can be used.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

oh yes, I forgot about strips ;-) I keep those too.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I throw nothing away. I use all my scraps no matter how small. I use them as starters & enders on my other projects. Like the small triangles I trim off, I sew them together, then start another block. When I come to the end of sewing a seam, I will will put two tiny triangles together (called an ender) & continue sewing, then cut the first block seam away from that. Then start another block seam behind the small triangle (called a starter). It also makes use of the thread strings you usually cut off. Saves thread also as you have used the trow away thread strings. When I have several of the made up, I will then use them again as starter & enders to make star blocks, 9 patch or whatever. I have several star blocks that are only 4 inches square & 9 patches that are 2 1/2 inches square. I even save 1/2 inch strips to wind around cloths line rope to make bowls & hot pads. They make great gifts.

I keep everything and make HSTs out of left over triangle cuts or make my own crazy fabric then square everything up. i just read an article on string quilts, which are absolutely beautiful- didn't know that is what I was making with my narrow strips. I have been in between jobs and quilting is something that I have been teaching myself so all fabric is precious to me.

Sometimes I save 1" strips for rail fence quilts. Everything else must be about 1-1/2" and larger. I don't need enders and leaders, neither of my two stand by machines do not eat fabric. Only oil.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    Anything narrower than an inch and 1/2 goes in the junk box for tieing up things (if they are long.) Short and skinny goes in the trash.

Strips under 1/2 inch, or fabric chunks under 1 inch square. Everything else goes into some scrappy project.

I keep squares 1.5" and larger, or strips 1" and larger

I try not to save anything under 1 1/2". Notice I wrote 'try.' Though since I've been saving the smallest scraps for pet beds at the Humane Society it is easier to dispose of the smaller pieces ... and those I really don't like.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I keep strips that are 1 1/2" or wider and with everything else, if I can get a 2 1/2" block or larger, I'll keep it. I read "ScrapTherapy" and liked her ideas!
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

I throw away anything under 1/2" wide. Everything else will most likely get used sooner or later.

I've started doing art quilts with long narrow pieces; so strips >1" wide are saved. anything with 2sq" finished usable space gets saved. Anything smaller goes into the snippets/dog bed bag. Anything

Quote Originally Posted by bluteddi View Post
    rarely does ANY fabric get tossed into the trash here.. scraps get cut into strips and squares,,,, then into the " scrap bin" snipets and trimmings go into anoth bin for pillows, toys stuffings etc..... but then I've been called miserly before.... :-)

Then I must be Scrooge!! I use strings as thin as 3/4 to 1 inchSquares saved are as small as 2 inches. Then anything smaller gets used for flling on dog beds..I even throw my thread scraps in the dog beds!! I can't remember the last time I threw out any fabric~

I save squares 1,5 and over. Strings 1,5" and over go to bins organised by width, strings under this, some as narrow as 1/2", go to mixed box. Anything that can be used for string blocks and paper piecing is saved.

Blog Entries
    I do NOT toss scraps in the trash---there is enough in our landfills I save the sizes I will use (long narrow strips in a basket for rug hooking, and the sizes that I will use in projects- if they are a size I am not apt to use I toss them into a flat rate box to pass on to someone who will use them- there are plenty of people looking for donations- people use small (throwaways) for stuffing dog-beds for shelters, for stuffing pillows for homeless shelters; there are lots of uses- I donate a whole garbage bag of little pieces to a local scout troop every year- they use them to make (treasure boxes) 'they cover file boxes with take off lids with glue-and small fabric pieces - like making mosaics they make beautiful boxes!' there is always someone who would appreciate what you do not have use for- don't just throw away good fabric- even if (for your use) it is not 'big-enough'
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Any thing less than 1 1/2" wide goes into a scrap box. When it gets full, I take it to a friend that takes it to a guild meeting and it all gets used for something.

I'm laughing, as someone posted a question on how to make a dog bed with scraps as filler.. I PM'd her, and advised her to send me the scraps, and I would be happy to donate money to pay for the filling.. She wouldn't take my money for the filling. I sent her the money for postage. She sent me two 6lb boxes of the most perfect high quality fabric. She said she had more, and I told her to send one to a friend on the board, as a present from me.. I'm laughing at this, as I cut up a good part of her stuff for two swaps I'm in, and still have a bunch left. Another nice part to this is the variety of fabrics that I haven't seen around here.. Soooo.. If you don't want to deal with your scraps, no matter what the size is, ask if someone could use it..

Blog Entries
    I also keep anything 1" or wider. I've been using my left over 100% cotton and wool scraps of fabric and batting as mulch in my perennial beds (don't know as I would use them in a vegetable garden... dyes?) I've been doing this for about 2 years and it works great. I throw everything into a box, then when it's reasonably full I take a pair of snips, like the ones you would use for a rag quilt, just stick them into the pile and snip. Great TV watching activity. This cuts up longer strips. Interesting to see which fabrics fade. Some from my first tries are still color fast. Some seem to fade in weeks.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I really dislike throwing any fabric in the trash!! Slivers maybe, just slivers. Lol the rest I keep. Love to paper piece so tiny is good for miniatures.
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

I have a very small sewing room 9 x 9. I thought about what quilts I like to make for charity and the size of scraps for each one. Strings must be at least 1 1/2. Smallest scrap is 2 1/2x 4 1/2. Smallest square is 3 1/2 x 3 1/2.

I keep up with the cutting and make a quilt when if looks like there is enough.

Blog Entries
    I am part of the quilting ministry at my church. We are always out of everything. I'd say save anything that you can make a 3in. Square out of or larger. We have some talented people, and you'd be surprised what they can do with next to nothing.

Blog Entries
    Anything under 2 inches I use as stuffing for dog and cat toys. Both the granddogs love it..and so do my cats, of course I add catkip to there toys. I also use pillow or furniture fabric instead of quilting fabric for the toys, but the filling...anything goes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast