Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What size Worm? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-worm-t108540.html)

lynnsim 03-18-2011 02:12 AM

A friend was talking about us doing a 2.5" Worm Swap in another group. So, my question is, What should be the length? She says 2.5" x WOF. But someone else suggests 2.5" times 1/2 the WOF, so that a FQ can be used. What is your opinions?

quilticing 03-18-2011 02:13 AM

what's a worm?

lynnsim 03-18-2011 02:18 AM

In doing a Google search for Worm quilt swap, I found a book titled, "Open a Can of Worms". It had this description:
What is a worm? Author Debbie Caffrey explains it's a strip of fabric that is 2.5 inches wide. Sew dozens of beautiful, scrappy quilts simply & very quickly. Start cutting 2.5 in strips now!
I had never heard of this swap either. We always called it a strip swap.

Marion Jean 03-18-2011 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by lynnsim
In doing a Google search for Worm quilt swap, I found a book titled, "Open a Can of Worms". It had this description:
What is a worm? Author Debbie Caffrey explains it's a strip of fabric that is 2.5 inches wide. Sew dozens of beautiful, scrappy quilts simply & very quickly. Start cutting 2.5 in strips now!
I had never heard of this swap either. We always called it a strip swap.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know what a worm was, either, but I've been sorting my scraps and cutting them into strips for scrappy quilts.

mommamac 03-18-2011 04:04 AM

never used worms but IMHO if someone wanted to participate in a worm swap they would want strips ready to sew. If worms were 2x WOF then there would be more cutting once they rec'd them.

If someone wants FQ, they should join a FQ swap.

MTS 03-18-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by mommamac
never used worms but IMHO if someone wanted to participate in a worm swap they would want strips ready to sew. If worms were 2x WOF then there would be more cutting once they rec'd them.

If someone wants FQ, they should join a FQ swap.

And why wouldn't the strips cut from a FQ be ready to sew?

Depending on the goal of the swap, you could get more variety, and perhaps more people participating. Just make sure they cut the FQ's in the correct orientation. ;) Sounds like fun.

rwquilts 03-18-2011 05:20 AM

I'd never heard of 2 1/2" strips being called worms...I learned something new thing morning! Thanks! I would do it how you want...whatever feels best to you?

BKrenning 03-18-2011 06:16 AM

I've heard Strip Swap & Noodle Swap for 2.5" strips x WOF but never heard Worm Swap. I would think worms would be smaller for some reason.

mommamac 03-18-2011 06:43 AM

[/quote]And why wouldn't the strips cut from a FQ be ready to sew?

Depending on the goal of the swap, you could get more variety, and perhaps more people participating. Just make sure they cut the FQ's in the correct orientation. ;) Sounds like fun.[/quote]

Can you tell I hadn't had my coffee yet & I read the original post incorrectly? :oops:

Sheila Elaine 03-18-2011 08:40 AM

Next they will be calling them Noodles! I like Noodles better than worms, IMHO. LOL.