Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What size Worm?

A friend was talking about us doing a 2.5" Worm Swap in another group. So, my question is, What should be the length? She says 2.5" x WOF. But someone else suggests 2.5" times 1/2 the WOF, so that a FQ can be used. What is your opinions?

what's a worm?

In doing a Google search for Worm quilt swap, I found a book titled, "Open a Can of Worms". It had this description:
    What is a worm? Author Debbie Caffrey explains it's a strip of fabric that is 2.5 inches wide. Sew dozens of beautiful, scrappy quilts simply & very quickly. Start cutting 2.5 in strips now!
    I had never heard of this swap either. We always called it a strip swap.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnsim
    In doing a Google search for Worm quilt swap, I found a book titled, "Open a Can of Worms". It had this description:
    What is a worm? Author Debbie Caffrey explains it's a strip of fabric that is 2.5 inches wide. Sew dozens of beautiful, scrappy quilts simply & very quickly. Start cutting 2.5 in strips now!
    I had never heard of this swap either. We always called it a strip swap.
    Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know what a worm was, either, but I've been sorting my scraps and cutting them into strips for scrappy quilts.

never used worms but IMHO if someone wanted to participate in a worm swap they would want strips ready to sew. If worms were 2x WOF then there would be more cutting once they rec'd them.

If someone wants FQ, they should join a FQ swap.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    never used worms but IMHO if someone wanted to participate in a worm swap they would want strips ready to sew. If worms were 2x WOF then there would be more cutting once they rec'd them.

If someone wants FQ, they should join a FQ swap.
    And why wouldn't the strips cut from a FQ be ready to sew?

Depending on the goal of the swap, you could get more variety, and perhaps more people participating. Just make sure they cut the FQ's in the correct orientation. ;) Sounds like fun.

Blog Entries
    I'd never heard of 2 1/2" strips being called worms...I learned something new thing morning! Thanks! I would do it how you want...whatever feels best to you?

I've heard Strip Swap & Noodle Swap for 2.5" strips x WOF but never heard Worm Swap. I would think worms would be smaller for some reason.

[/quote]And why wouldn't the strips cut from a FQ be ready to sew?

Depending on the goal of the swap, you could get more variety, and perhaps more people participating. Just make sure they cut the FQ's in the correct orientation. ;) Sounds like fun.[/quote]

Can you tell I hadn't had my coffee yet & I read the original post incorrectly? :oops:

Next they will be calling them Noodles! I like Noodles better than worms, IMHO. LOL.

In this Forum, I found this:
    Now, you may be asking yourself, “What in the world do noodles have to do with quilting and what is a fabric noodle?”. Simply said, a fabric noodle a strip of fabric that is the length of the measurement of the width of the fabric (WOF). In other words, a 2.5″ noodle would be a strip that was 2.5″ wide by the WOF, which usually ranges between 40″ - 44″.

So, I've decided a worm could be 2.5" x 1/2 the WOF.
    (Personally, I don't like the term worm either, but I'm doing what the leader wants.)

Thanks for the clarification. I had seen Noodle somewhere & thought it was the longer of the two 2.5 x WOF. We learn new terms everyday, don't we?

Blog Entries
    A noodle is what you put spaghetti sauce on. A worm is something that you put on the end of a fishing hook to catch a fish.

OK...I would swap wormy noodle strips....2-1/2" x WOF sounds good to me. Let's go for it.

MCarlene, I live in southeast Texas, so we're pratically neighbors.

Here is what I found after a search
    This book uses 2 ½” strips of fabric to make each of the quilts, and you will find 8 different patterns in the book. This is a great way to use some of those fabrics you already have in your stash, or there are now fabric bundles of 2½” strips that you can purchase. Some people call them “Jelly Rolls” or “Worms”, if you are looking for them at a Hancock Fabrics store, they are called “Noodles”.

What's with the worms? Just when I got used to the quilting world "menu" (layer cakes, jelly rolls, Honey buns, Turnovers - you name it) some entomologist gets their dander up and introduces bugs.

I vote for noodles. Vermiceli (1"), Fettucini (2"), Lasagna (pinked 2" ;) ), and Ravioli (squares!). And all our mistakes can be meatballs.

That's the ticket DogHouseMo, sounds good to me.

When I do my 2" trades, I'll have to remember Fettucini; that's a good one!

Debbie Caffrey's first strip book was Open a Can of Worms and is for 2-1/2" Strips. Her second book for strips was Noodle Soup, and is for 2" strips. I have used both of the books and her patterns are great!

I'm with DogHouseMom! I like her terms better! I hate bugs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Airwick156
    A noodle is what you put spaghetti sauce on. A worm is something that you put on the end of a fishing hook to catch a fish.
    Now THIS makes sense LOL

Well...Good morning Neighbor! I know I have been through Nederland, but can't remember exactly where it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnsim
    MCarlene, I live in southeast Texas, so we're pratically neighbors.