Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What stitch needle plates do you use on your machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-stitch-needle-plates-do-you-use-your-machines-t200201.html)

Maureen 09-11-2012 07:07 PM

I have one plate that does both kinds of stitching. Its a Brother

MattieMae 09-11-2012 07:13 PM

I use both stitch plates. The straight stitch plate for piecing and FMQ, the regular plate for everything else.

Jim 09-11-2012 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady (Post 5507365)
I use my straight stitch plate for piecing and FMQ and the zig zag plate for machine embrodiery. I, too, like the others have forgotten more times than not to change the plate. Not only have I broken needles, I also scarred my plate so it has a barb that I tried to file smooth, but no luck so now I have to use the left hole. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get the barb out? Thanks in advance.

You can use a jewelers cloth or take the plate to your sewing repair person they can file it off for you

LivelyLady 09-12-2012 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 5508296)
You can use a jewelers cloth or take the plate to your sewing repair person they can file it off for you

Thank you! I'll do just that.

carslo 09-12-2012 06:23 AM

Wow, I never knew there was any other type of stitch plate other than the one that has always come on my machines. I am off to ebay to see about getting one for my Husky Sapphire. Thanks ladies you are all the best!

majormom 09-12-2012 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie (Post 5507681)
My machine didn't come with one either. I had to buy a generic one and although they swore it was made to fit the model of machine it had, I still had to use my dremel to modify it to seat correctly in place.

Boy am I dumb! I have never looked for a generic straight stitch plate! That will be my very next task when I leave the QB! I love your little sweetie in the picture for your avatar! She says "I've been sewing so much I need to lay here awhile and rest"!

QultingaddictUK 09-12-2012 08:59 AM

"I've been sewing so much I need to lay here awhile and rest"!

She does so much quilt testing that she gets so tired, heehee

Jingle 09-12-2012 11:43 AM

I only use straight stitch machine and only have one Stitch plate.

QultingaddictUK 09-12-2012 02:18 PM

I sent off a request for machines that have straight stitch plates to an online supplier and they are quoting £35/$56 for a straight stitch plate, is that a rip off or what?

patchsamkim 09-12-2012 03:02 PM

I mostly use the zig-zag plate for every everything...I tend to go back and forth between projects and have broke too many needles. If I know for sure I will ONLY be doing straight stitch for a long time, I will use my straight stitch plate, and then I put a REALLY bright colored post it note on my machine as a reminder what plate I have on. That way, I am much less likely to break a needle, though, it has still happened.