Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What stitch needle plates do you use on your machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-stitch-needle-plates-do-you-use-your-machines-t200201.html)

QultingaddictUK 09-11-2012 09:53 AM

What stitch needle plates do you use on your machines?

When I bought my Elna 7200 it was supplied with 2 stitching plates, one for straight stitching and one for zig-zag or other fancy stitches, and my little old Frister Rossman machine has 2 stitch plates as well.

Well a few of my Ladies are upgrading their basic sewng machines as they are loving quilting, but................. On a lot of the modern machine they are only supplying them with the zig-zag plate and a lot of models don't even give you the option of buying a straight stitch plate as they are not making them, like the new Frister Rossman

Now I use my straight stitch plate A LOT for FMQ and especially for piecing as it stops a lot of the tangles you can get.

Is it just me, do you Ladies have both stitching plates or don't you change them, I would really like your opinion on this as to me it's important.

dunster 09-11-2012 10:03 AM

I use the straight stitch plate when I'm doing piecing. I had to buy it separately because my Bernina came only with the zigzag plate. When I need to zigzag I sometimes forget to change the plate - and then wind up with a broken needle.

MadQuilter 09-11-2012 10:06 AM

I only use the zig-zag plate on my DHSM because I am notorious for switching the stitch but not the plate (or foot). Clunk goes the needle.

quiltstringz 09-11-2012 10:12 AM

I mainly use the straight stitch plate since I mostly do piecing. I do really love it and feel that it is a neccessity especially if you have a machine that does the larger than normal stitch width. I have a Bernina and it has the 9mm instead of the normal (5mm) capability. The opening on the 9mm plate is just too wide for piecing

RonieM 09-11-2012 10:19 AM

I have both plates and use mainly the straight stitch plate since I do mostly piecing.

QultingaddictUK 09-11-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5506832)
I use the straight stitch plate when I'm doing piecing. I had to buy it separately because my Bernina came only with the zigzag plate. When I need to zigzag I sometimes forget to change the plate - and then wind up with a broken needle.

Done that so many times :) At least I change my needles frequently and as I buy them by the 100, because of classes, they are cheap enough not to worry about it. Thanks for your prompt replies Ladies.

majormom 09-11-2012 10:49 AM

If I had a choice, I would use a straight stitch plate. However, the company that makes my brand of machine does not even offer a straight stitch plate, only a zigzag plate! Can you believe it?

QultingaddictUK 09-11-2012 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by majormom (Post 5506923)
If I had a choice, I would use a straight stitch plate. However, the company that makes my brand of machine does not even offer a straight stitch plate, only a zigzag plate! Can you believe it?

Yes I can, one of my Group bought the new Heavy Duty Singer and it hasn't got one, and she has had nothing but problems trying to do piecing with it and the New Frister Rossman quilting machine http://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/frister979_info.htm doesn't come with one either. BTW I wouldn't recommend this machine, my pupils are delighted with it but besides not having a straight stitch plate but for FMQ it doesn't have an extra high lift presser foot and it's not very fast. They got a good deal with lots of goodies and are delighted with it but not for a serious quilter IMO.

LivelyLady 09-11-2012 01:55 PM

I use my straight stitch plate for piecing and FMQ and the zig zag plate for machine embrodiery. I, too, like the others have forgotten more times than not to change the plate. Not only have I broken needles, I also scarred my plate so it has a barb that I tried to file smooth, but no luck so now I have to use the left hole. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get the barb out? Thanks in advance.

Kitsie 09-11-2012 02:17 PM

Wouldn't be without my straight stitch plate that came with my machine!! And the feet that come with it. :)

Luckily my Pfaff can be set to only allow straight stitches when I use it.