Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What things are you still having problems with in quilting? Let's Chit Chat! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-things-you-still-having-problems-quilting-lets-chit-chat-t51255.html)

craftybear 06-25-2010 03:29 AM

What things are you still having problems with in quilting?
Let's Chit Chat!

I am sure someone can help!

mpspeedy 06-25-2010 03:50 AM

While I have been quilting for 40+ years I still have trouble getting my piecing perfect. I just put together a top that will be quilted at the Senior Center. The original star blocks were made and donated by someone else. The fabric was to old to be able to match. I had to add enough other fabrics to make it queen size. I carefully measured and measured some more with every block I placed in the design. By the last row of blocks it is off a good inch in one row. I have ripped out, trimmed and resewn several times. It drives me crazy.

Bobbielinks 06-25-2010 04:16 AM

I agree, getting the piecing "perfect" is always a problem with me. Even when I square up each block before sewing it to the next block. I have found that it helps some to place a piece of masking tape on my sewing machine 1/4 inch right of the needle extending it all the way out to the edge of my machine to give me a "line" for my fabric to follow so I can get a true 1/4 inch seam.

CAROLJ 06-25-2010 05:20 AM

I'm afraid of the rotary cutter. When I first started quilting I used scissors. I quit for years, now that I'm back I use a rotary cutter. Musch faster, but also much sharper and easier to make a cutting mistake on my fingers ond on the fabric!

granniebj 06-25-2010 05:25 AM

Hand quilting! I just can't seem to get the hang of it! I gave up and did machine quilting but can't stuff more then a lap quilt in it. This GMFG quilt will be hand quilted, but I've decided to make it as large as a lap quilt. Unfortuantely I now have arthritis in my hands! Grrr!

shopella 06-25-2010 05:30 AM

I am just venturing to triangles I am finding they need a perfict patern and alot of the free on line paterns arn't quite right.I did a log cabin, but I can only get it right by hand!

quiltsRfun 06-25-2010 10:33 AM

For me it's perfect piecing and points. I always end up with a few corners that don't quite match and points that are cut off. I've decided that rather than ripping and striving for perfection I'll accept the imperfection and move on to the next project. Hopefully it will be a lesson learned.

Having made this confession, you can see that my avatar quilt will be quite a challenge for me. :)

AtHomeSewing 06-25-2010 10:34 AM

For me, it is finishing.... ):

JulieR 06-25-2010 10:37 AM

Curves! Well, that's my current challenge anyway. I'm dreaming in circles right now...

Twin Sisters 06-25-2010 10:55 AM

Time in my quilt room. Having too much fun with my two grandson's. They are not ready for sewing yet.