Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What things are you still having problems with in quilting? Let's Chit Chat!

Blog Entries
    What things are you still having problems with in quilting?
    Let's Chit Chat!

I am sure someone can help!

While I have been quilting for 40+ years I still have trouble getting my piecing perfect. I just put together a top that will be quilted at the Senior Center. The original star blocks were made and donated by someone else. The fabric was to old to be able to match. I had to add enough other fabrics to make it queen size. I carefully measured and measured some more with every block I placed in the design. By the last row of blocks it is off a good inch in one row. I have ripped out, trimmed and resewn several times. It drives me crazy.

I agree, getting the piecing "perfect" is always a problem with me. Even when I square up each block before sewing it to the next block. I have found that it helps some to place a piece of masking tape on my sewing machine 1/4 inch right of the needle extending it all the way out to the edge of my machine to give me a "line" for my fabric to follow so I can get a true 1/4 inch seam.

I'm afraid of the rotary cutter. When I first started quilting I used scissors. I quit for years, now that I'm back I use a rotary cutter. Musch faster, but also much sharper and easier to make a cutting mistake on my fingers ond on the fabric!

Hand quilting! I just can't seem to get the hang of it! I gave up and did machine quilting but can't stuff more then a lap quilt in it. This GMFG quilt will be hand quilted, but I've decided to make it as large as a lap quilt. Unfortuantely I now have arthritis in my hands! Grrr!

I am just venturing to triangles I am finding they need a perfict patern and alot of the free on line paterns arn't quite right.I did a log cabin, but I can only get it right by hand!

Blog Entries
    For me it's perfect piecing and points. I always end up with a few corners that don't quite match and points that are cut off. I've decided that rather than ripping and striving for perfection I'll accept the imperfection and move on to the next project. Hopefully it will be a lesson learned.

Having made this confession, you can see that my avatar quilt will be quite a challenge for me. :)

For me, it is finishing.... ):

Curves! Well, that's my current challenge anyway. I'm dreaming in circles right now...

Time in my quilt room. Having too much fun with my two grandson's. They are not ready for sewing yet.

The triangle section for those New York Beauties. Now, I can do Drunkards Path just fine...go figure.

I'm trying out more complex machine quilting than I have ever done, and it's going to take more practice! I've done mostly hand quilting, nothing too extraordinary, and easy machine stuff like SITD, but now I'm trying shapes and forms. Hard to get used to guiding smoothly and easily.

Bindings!!!! I hate bindings and that phobia keeps me from finishing quilts or if one wants to put it in other terms creating more UFOs. :lol:

FMQ is hard for me. I'm more of a straight line person and I can't seem to "wander" around. I think I make it hard for myself but I'm going to keep practicing and hopefully some day....
    ~Deb~

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    cutting a straight cut with the rotary cutter/\.

Some things can happen if...a piece is cut on the cross grain (it will stretch a bit..use a scan 1/4inch (two or three threads over). Cut precisely. Make sure the fabric is straight before cutting.

I know you have been taught to fold the fabric and cut accross the grain. For instance: lets take a log cabin. you cut accross the grain and you start sewing your strips together. Your block, if you notice is warped or not perfectly square. That is because the cross grain is weak. Now cut your stips on the lenght of grain. Your block will be perfectly square and will be the correct size.

Your borders should also be cut on the straight of grain. Before applying your borders, measure from the middle of you quilt from side to side and use that measurement.

For beginners, I recommend the four Books and rulers from Sharon Hultgren. Her rulers will cut perfect triangles, hex, diamonds. Any pattern you find, you can use her rulers to make sure that the patches are perfect.

Blog Entries
    I have a way of doing quick binding that still looks good. Not as 'perfect' as hand stitching but I think it turns out pretty neat. I can try and describe it to you if you're interested. I'm sure it's not new and you might have already tried it and it doesn't work for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by 978gray
    Bindings!!!! I hate bindings and that phobia keeps me from finishing quilts or if one wants to put it in other terms creating more UFOs. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Crafty bear, How do you square up a big piece of fabric that is too large for your table or your rulers. I've tried folding but that isn't working. I have trouble with my pieced block too, but I'm sure that is because I am not exact with every seam. I hate to keep trimming edges, the thing just keeps shrinking!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    What things are you still having problems with in quilting?
    Let's Chit Chat!

I am sure someone can help!
    Time :lol: :lol: :lol:

And making the corners look right.

Billy

Blog Entries
    good ? this is a link that I use *& maybe someone else can help us out

http://quilting.about.com/od/rotaryc...ing_strips.htm

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaO
    Crafty bear, How do you square up a big piece of fabric that is too large for your table or your rulers. I've tried folding but that isn't working. I have trouble with my pieced block too, but I'm sure that is because I am not exact with every seam. I hate to keep trimming edges, the thing just keeps shrinking!

Blog Entries
    found this cool link and lady uses pins and measure measure measure

http://www.simplesewingprojects.com/...up-the-fabric/

I'm finding the double wedding ring quilt a challenge. I have been quilting for over 30 years and I have made drunkard's path before and had no problem. And the curved arcs are not a problem when sewing them to the little melon shape. But when sewing them to the big centers (putting four arcs around each center) I'm having a real problem where the two arcs meet. I've tried clipping the curves at this joint, but its still hard to get the three pieces to come together right and lay flat! It's taking me forever!!! I never want to make another one of these!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I just did a search for Sharon Hultgren rulers, awesome

http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...ns/ezQuilt.php

Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    Some things can happen if...a piece is cut on the cross grain (it will stretch a bit..use a scan 1/4inch (two or three threads over). Cut precisely. Make sure the fabric is straight before cutting.

I know you have been taught to fold the fabric and cut accross the grain. For instance: lets take a log cabin. you cut accross the grain and you start sewing your strips together. Your block, if you notice is warped or not perfectly square. That is because the cross grain is weak. Now cut your stips on the lenght of grain. Your block will be perfectly square and will be the correct size.

Your borders should also be cut on the straight of grain. Before applying your borders, measure from the middle of you quilt from side to side and use that measurement.

For beginners, I recommend the four Books and rulers from Sharon Hultgren. Her rulers will cut perfect triangles, hex, diamonds. Any pattern you find, you can use her rulers to make sure that the patches are perfect.

Blog Entries
    please do a tutorial for us on how you do your bindings and add it to the tutorial section, please , please

I have a way of doing quick binding that still looks good. Not as 'perfect' as hand stitching but I think it turns out pretty neat. I can try and describe it to you if you're interested. I'm sure it's not new and you might have already tried it and it doesn't work for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by 978gray

Blog Entries
    Pamela,

I want to try to make one of them but after reading your note, sounds hard to do.

Also I love your Sampler Quilt on your avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
    I'm finding the double wedding ring quilt a challenge. I have been quilting for over 30 years and I have made drunkard's path before and had no problem. And the curved arcs are not a problem when sewing them to the little melon shape. But when sewing them to the big centers (putting four arcs around each center) I'm having a real problem where the two arcs meet. I've tried clipping the curves at this joint, but its still hard to get the three pieces to come together right and lay flat! It's taking me forever!!! I never want to make another one of these!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast