Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What things are you still having problems with in quilting? Let's Chit Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    For me, it is finishing.... ):
    me too...I start out with good intentions, but something falls apart as I finish them..that is when the excitement of a new pattern has worn off, and I see all my mistakes.

I don't hand bind and I like my bindings a bit wide. I cut a 4 to 4 /2 inch strip the lengh that I need. I fold and iron it in half. I then sew on side to the quilt. When I get to the corners, I lift up and do the miter and continue (For beginners, Elinore Burns is perfect for teaching you binding or get her cd). Once that is done. I eigher use the Mitchelle system with the clips and gizmo or just fold over and pin a bit and sew in the ditch.

Blog Entries
    thanks, what is the mitchelle system?

I didn't know Eleanor Burns had a cd on bindings

Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    I don't hand bind and I like my bindings a bit wide. I cut a 4 to 4 /2 inch strip the lengh that I need. I fold and iron it in half. I then sew on side to the quilt. When I get to the corners, I lift up and do the miter and continue (For beginners, Elinore Burns is perfect for teaching you binding or get her cd). Once that is done. I eigher use the Mitchelle system with the clips and gizmo or just fold over and pin a bit and sew in the ditch.

Blog Entries
    I need to know how to Mitre the corners, sew the corners so the square looks good.

All of the above and beyond. Why am I quilting then do you ask, well I enjoy it and I am a sucker for punishment.

Rita

I have a similar problem. I have made a square in a square and the left side of the squares are perfect and the right sides are off. I perfectly cut these triangles to fit and my seams were EXACT and I still didn't come out right on this quilt.

Those nasty corners on borders!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
    I'm finding the double wedding ring quilt a challenge. I have been quilting for over 30 years and I have made drunkard's path before and had no problem. And the curved arcs are not a problem when sewing them to the little melon shape. But when sewing them to the big centers (putting four arcs around each center) I'm having a real problem where the two arcs meet. I've tried clipping the curves at this joint, but its still hard to get the three pieces to come together right and lay flat! It's taking me forever!!! I never want to make another one of these!!
    ugghhh.......I'm hoping I'm not making the biggest mistake of my short quilting career. Your post is making me nervous. My daughter has requested I make her my next project which is only my 3rd!!! It's the Amish Wedding Ring though and doesn't have all the curves. I'm in the middle of sewing together millions of little 2" triangles into units and then will need to start piecing together. The directions recommend deciding on color placement by putting it together on the wall and carefully machine stiching and then returning it to the wall to avoid screwing up the color bands. I'm going to have to do set in seams for the 1st time too and that's also making me nervous. I've found some good articles with pictorials so I'm hoping I'm okay. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Piecing perfectly....I'm assuming practice will make perfect, but have read a few good tips here. My big frustration is ENDING the binding. I can do the mitre corners with no problem, but how do you END it????

[quote=GrammaO]I have a way of doing quick binding that still looks good. Not as 'perfect' as hand stitching but I think it turns out pretty neat. I can try and describe it to you if you're interested. I'm sure it's not new and you might have already tried it and it doesn't work for you.Please tell us how as this may really help me. This is a real problem for me too.

I guess finishing. I have a PC Quilter sitting in my garage I have never used. Meandering is my downfall. Just can't get the hang of it. Have taken numerous lessons and still struggle. LOL! Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    What things are you still having problems with in quilting?
    Let's Chit Chat!

I am sure someone can help!
    I simply can no longer sew a straight seam. I just finished sewing the binding on a Sunbonnet Sue quilt for my great-granddaughter and the seam varies in width - have ripped out parts of it and will never be satisfied with the finished project. I used the walking foot and still couldn't get it right. So frustrated! Wanted it to be a treasure for her.

Yes, finishing is my problem too.!

finding the time to practice practice and practice for machine quilting... have so much to machine quilt...

finding the time to practice practice and practice for machine quilting... have so much to machine quilt...

I am almost embarrassed to mention this, but if I read any kind of 1/8. 7/8 or any kind of 8 for cutting - I am out of there. I have trouble getting that on my rulers and my husband thinks it is funny and laughs at his math challenged wife trying to figure out how many lines back or forward I need. Rulers, as a rule, do not indicate any 8ths and it drives me nuts when i find a great pattern and when I look at the instructions, I will not attempt it. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how do you dealwith it?

I don't! I am just like you. I will find something else. My husband tried to explain. No luck! So I gave him a ruler and some fabric. Later........" this is alot harder than working with wood." And he can build anything out of wood!

Your husband sounds like mine - he also can do anything in wood so he really cannot understand how dumb I can be with numbers as it comes quite easy for him. I get so confused - I even tried putting on that skinny colored tape they use for rulers, but I still made mistakes. Good thing it was just practice cuts and not for real. I am glad that I am not alone out there.
    I also change the patterns and just eliminate those troublesome eights.

Blog Entries
    Sashing!! I have the most trouble getting my seams to line up when there is sashing horizontal and vertical. I pin and measure but one or two will always be off.

All help appreciated.

Half square triangles seem to be my biggest challenge, so far.

Blog Entries
    I have a hard time : Make sure the fabric is straight before cutting. I had on piece taht I could never get it straight so I put it to the side and replace it with a other fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 978gray
    Bindings!!!! I hate bindings and that phobia keeps me from finishing quilts or if one wants to put it in other terms creating more UFOs. :lol:
    Too bad you're on the other side of the country. I love bindings! It's "The End" and I'm usually ready for it! We could sit and have coffee and sew bindings!

Love your tip re cutting lengthwise for Log Cabin pattern. That's one of those patterns I just run from. My squares always ended up almost looking like a triangle. Now I at least know what might be wrong.

I just don't understand how to square up a block

Blog Entries
    I bought 2 noah's ark panels and want to finish for gg-daughters
    What is the best thing to use for the binding? The panel is finished on both sides.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast