Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What things are you still having problems with in quilting? Let's Chit Chat!

For beginners, I recommend the four Books and rulers from Sharon Hultgren. Her rulers will cut perfect triangles, hex, diamonds. Any pattern you find, you can use her rulers to make sure that the patches are perfect.[/quote]

Could you name the books and rulers from Sharon Hultgren. I have trouble cutting .

I have only tried applique once. I did not do well. I will soon be learning machine applique from my new friend Julia in Fort Smith. I am looking forward to it, but still a little nervous. Picture a lemming at the cliff.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    please do a tutorial for us on how you do your bindings and add it to the tutorial section, please , please

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaO
    I have a way of doing quick binding that still looks good. Not as 'perfect' as hand stitching but I think it turns out pretty neat. I can try and describe it to you if you're interested. I'm sure it's not new and you might have already tried it and it doesn't work for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by 978gray
    Bindings!!!! I hate bindings and that phobia keeps me from finishing quilts or if one wants to put it in other terms creating more UFOs. :lol:
    If you will go to Missouri Star Quilt, they have good tutorials on bindings.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    A tip I just found out about, that some of you may not know.
    I was ready to sash a quilt that the edges of the quilt were on the bias. I called a friend who said, always when stitching bias to straight grain, be sure the bias is on top. The feet will not work as well on bias and it will bunch up. I did this and it is perfectly straight!

Blog Entries
    [quote=CAROLJ]I'm afraid of the rotary cutter. When I first started quilting I used scissors. I quit for years, now that I'm back I use a rotary cutter. Musch faster, but also much sharper and easier to make a cutting mistake on my fingers ond on the fabric!
    -------------------------------------------------
    After volunteering with the blood bank for many years, I've
    discovered how easy it is to take blood stains from fabric. We
    use mainly peroxide, cold water is good. At home I also use
    meat tenderizer and cold water. Never, ever use hot water.

Don't ask me how much I used it at home when I first got to
    using rotary cutters....

Blog Entries
    I have never made a quilted bag and would love to find an easy pattern to make

I just found this online and was wondering if you think this would be easy

http://sentimentalstitches.net/wp-co...schlep-bag.pdf

Hi, and thanks for asking. It feels good to lay your heart out here. Well LOL I have no guts to start a bargelo quilt. I dream about it, design it, do numerous drawings, but I am afraid to start one. I read lots of tutorials, still NO GUTS. So here it is. Feels good to let it out.

Having trouble? Oh, yes, with flower appliques...my leaf tips look like squares and leaf stems look as if they need a shave. I read and re-read directions...brain freeze? Help!

Blog Entries
    I purchased some fabric that had baseball players rather large had to go 9"x6" can't figure out what I can add to it besides solid colors. Do have some baseball fabric and thought if I cut them same sideways . Do you think they would look okay together? Colors are okay.

PATIENCE!!! Im trying so hard to learn it! I could get so much done if I had a little more of it :D

Baseball- hmmmmmm. One can try a green print that looks like grass; some kinds of batik go rather well too. There is fabric that looks like sand and could be taken for dirt. I just ordered fabric for basketball themed quilt and ordered a large print and a smaller one for contrast with batik added. A good site for fabrics is called e-Quilter and the neat thing is that if you find a print, when you get the close up, there is a button that you can hit with your mouse when you scroll over the print and find a coordinating color in the print that you want to accompany it and it will call up all fabrics within that color range. Really cool! Good luck and hope this helps. You just have to be bold and go for it and it will always come out OK if you follow your instinct. Just remember - there are no rules in quilting!

thanks, what is the mitchelle system?

I didn't know Eleanor Burns had a cd on bindings

Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    I don't hand bind and I like my bindings a bit wide. I cut a 4 to 4 /2 inch strip the lengh that I need. I fold and iron it in half. I then sew on side to the quilt. When I get to the corners, I lift up and do the miter and continue (For beginners, Elinore Burns is perfect for teaching you binding or get her cd). Once that is done. I eigher use the Mitchelle system with the clips and gizmo or just fold over and pin a bit and sew in the ditch.

Sorry I mispelled....

http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...gory_Code=Bind

This system works great but you have to really read it good. I looked at the price and wow, I don't think I paid that much for it....y
    I think I got it at Planet patchwork when they had a sale on years ago.

I was talking about Elinor's cd 's

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/dvds.asp

I got her, "Victory Quilts" from Amazon.com. The block in this book are all from Block Base but I like Elinore and every now and then I will get something from her. Oh that is the third quilt on my list.

My challenge is figuring out which way to press seams so they nest when joined to other pieces. Most of the time, I press open and make "pinwheels" to help the joints lay flat.
    Don't know how this will affect how the seams hold up after several years.

Perfect piecing & not cutting off my points!

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty critter
    What things are you still having problems with in quilting?
    Let's Chit Chat!

I am sure someone can help!
    I simply can no longer sew a straight seam. I just finished sewing the binding on a Sunbonnet Sue quilt for my great-granddaughter and the seam varies in width - have ripped out parts of it and will never be satisfied with the finished project. I used the walking foot and still couldn't get it right. So frustrated! Wanted it to be a treasure for her.
    I also have trouble sewing binding straight. You need to use your walking foot. Make 2 1/2 inch binding on the straight of the grain. I iron the binding in half and the sew the unfinished edge of the quilt with 1/3 inch seam starting at the bottom of the quilt and leaving 6 inches of binding free to join the . When I get to corners I stop at 1/3 inch and then go backwards to the unfinished edge perpendicular to the previous seam line. Repeat around all edges and corners. Next I iron the binding to the top of the quilt at the depth that is beyond the seam on the back. Pin with sharp point to outside of quilt as needed. Ironing reduces the need for as many pins. Starting at the bottom of the quilt, leaving the binding open as before, I start about 3 up stitches into the top binding and stitch on top parallel to the quilt . When you come to corners, take the time to make your mitred corner, use fabric glue if needed. continuously stitch around the quilt at that same distance. (Mark the place on your walking foot or on the machine table.)Stop your quilting about 6 inches from the end. You have plenty for the finish. I like to overlap the open ends of the binding, putting one end inside the other. You only need a few inches to overlap. Turn 1/4 inch under on the top strip of the binding. Go back and finish the top stitching. You must support you quilt so that it doesn't pull your stitches inward. For curved quilts use bias binding. THE END

Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
    I am almost embarrassed to mention this, but if I read any kind of 1/8. 7/8 or any kind of 8 for cutting - I am out of there. I have trouble getting that on my rulers and my husband thinks it is funny and laughs at his math challenged wife trying to figure out how many lines back or forward I need. Rulers, as a rule, do not indicate any 8ths and it drives me nuts when i find a great pattern and when I look at the instructions, I will not attempt it. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how do you dealwith it?
    Late Bloomer, I have the same problem. I have a mental block when it comes to math. I don't see as well as I used to and I think that plays a role too with measuring - for me - anything between the inch or half-inch marker. I thought I was the only one and I am embarrassed about it too.

Power Poster
    Time to quilt.

Is this who I think it is? Miss RC. Not really homesick, but miss my church and my friends. Will be in RC, Wed. b/4 Sept 10, for class reunion, will write you a note, etc, later.

Helen

I agree with I GO TO THE SEA TO BEATHe, cutting a straight line with a rotary cutter, is such a problem for me. Why, I haven't the slighest!

I love to piece. :)

Blog Entries
    I also just acquired some baseball material, what I thought I would do , have the one paytch and a different color, maybe put the square onto a contrasting fabric or coordinating fabric, got so many thoughts on it. and this is an American pasttime? why not red, white, blue material or squares? awwww, my mind is going a mile a minute about this!

Quote Originally Posted by bbeyes
    I purchased some fabric that had baseball players rather large had to go 9"x6" can't figure out what I can add to it besides solid colors. Do have some baseball fabric and thought if I cut them same sideways . Do you think they would look okay together? Colors are okay.
    Would this work, maybe interspersed with some solids? If you like it, and can't find any, I'll be glad to send this to you...only have 2 - 15"x15" tho...oh, pix kinda large but since it's my first...i'm happy about it :lol:

Baseball fabric
    Name:  Attachment-85696.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  146.4 KB

This is just a simple question - do you mark your quilting design before pinning the quilt to the rack, or do you do all the marking after it is pinned and nice and tight. I was told to mark it first, but I have to redraw the lines in so many places and i was wondering if anyone did theirs after. I still have a working quilt on the rack so I have to keep changing the lines on it and do not want to do this on my next one. Thanks quilting buddies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
    I am almost embarrassed to mention this, but if I read any kind of 1/8. 7/8 or any kind of 8 for cutting - I am out of there. I have trouble getting that on my rulers and my husband thinks it is funny and laughs at his math challenged wife trying to figure out how many lines back or forward I need. Rulers, as a rule, do not indicate any 8ths and it drives me nuts when i find a great pattern and when I look at the instructions, I will not attempt it. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how do you dealwith it?
    Late Bloomer, I have the same problem. I have a mental block when it comes to math. I don't see as well as I used to and I think that plays a role too with measuring - for me - anything between the inch or half-inch marker. I thought I was the only one and I am embarrassed about it too.
    Judy Martin has a special ruler with 1/8 and 1/16 sections as she sews precise lol....

The eights are not hard. every line in an inch is an eight. there are 8 lines to any inch in any of your quilting rulers. two lines is a 1/4 and four lines is half an inch...so if the seam is 3/8, count the three little marks in the one inch section and so on...if it says 1 3/8 seam, then you know you have to add three little lines to your 1 inch..

If it says 7/8 then you know you have to count 7 little lines and there will be one line left to finish that inch...the number underneath (8) only signifies the the number of parts in that particular measurement, for instance the inch being divided into eights.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
    I have a hard time : Make sure the fabric is straight before cutting. I had on piece taht I could never get it straight so I put it to the side and replace it with a other fabric.

This is a good way to straighten fabric. Hold the fabric, selveges together in the air in front of you, now look at the fold...if it is cooked, slide the fabric in your hands to the left or right, move only the front side until the fold is straight. Now place on cutting board and line up your ruler with the fold and cut the edge to straighten it.

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    I'm afraid of the rotary cutter. When I first started quilting I used scissors. I quit for years, now that I'm back I use a rotary cutter. Musch faster, but also much sharper and easier to make a cutting mistake on my fingers ond on the fabric!
    There are suction handles that fit on your ruler if you are afraid you might cut your fingers...always cut slowly and take you time. When setting the cutter down, hit it against the ruler to make sure you are on the fabric and mat and not on the ruler. Also, Fons and Porter have a safe cutter out, well safer....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast