Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: What things are you still having problems with in quilting? Let's Chit Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by SewSewGal
    I just don't understand how to square up a block

If you have one of those big square rulers ( I say big because it will do any size.) I have a 6 and 12 and 16 inch square rulers...

Anyway, place the ruler with the diagonal line going down the diagonal line of your block, cut those two edges then do the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty critter
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    What things are you still having problems with in quilting?
    Let's Chit Chat!

I am sure someone can help!
    I simply can no longer sew a straight seam. I just finished sewing the binding on a Sunbonnet Sue quilt for my great-granddaughter and the seam varies in width - have ripped out parts of it and will never be satisfied with the finished project. I used the walking foot and still couldn't get it right. So frustrated! Wanted it to be a treasure for her.
    It will be a treasure for her, :D a Sunbonnet Sue is a chalenge in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by luvin quilting
    For beginners, I recommend the four Books and rulers from Sharon Hultgren. Her rulers will cut perfect triangles, hex, diamonds. Any pattern you find, you can use her rulers to make sure that the patches are perfect.
    Could you name the books and rulers from Sharon Hultgren. I have trouble cutting .[/quote]

The Basics ..introduction to quilting 101,Beyond the Basics 201, 60 degree shapes with no math 401. Then if you want to get her other two books they are: Traditional quilts the easy way....Tradional quilts 2 the easy way.

These books have been my bible in the beginning. I have always sewed but never done quilting.

I hate flying geese !!!!! I don't think I have ever made one that came out straight and the size it was suppose to be. I'm thinking I may just substitute them with HST's ~~

Always check youtube. Judy Martin is on there and probably Sharon Hultgren...just type the name in the search...and then what you would like to see...binding? Elinore on there too....

Yes !!! 1/4 and 1/2 inch are my limits !!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori L
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
    I'm finding the double wedding ring quilt a challenge. I never want to make another one of these!!
    ugghhh.......I'm hoping I'm not making the biggest mistake of my short quilting career. Your post is making me nervous. My daughter has requested I make her my next project which is only my 3rd!!! It's the Amish Wedding Ring though and doesn't have all the curves. I'm in the middle of sewing together millions of little 2" triangles into units and then will need to start piecing together. The directions recommend deciding on color placement by putting it together on the wall and carefully machine stiching and then returning it to the wall to avoid screwing up the color bands. I'm going to have to do set in seams for the 1st time too and that's also making me nervous. I've found some good articles with pictorials so I'm hoping I'm okay. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)
    Forge ahead. someone once asked me why i pick challenging patterns and all i could say was "no one told me i couldn't do them" Please post a pic when you are done. would love to see how your wedding ring turns out.

Somewhere I saw a tutorial on TV that showed how to do wedding ring stripping. They sewed strips together and then cut the arc - this way it was all sewed up. Probably there is an amount of waste involved but i have never tried to make one so I do not know. My very first piece I quilted was a bear paw wall hanging which in my ignorance, I quilted on my lap! My next project was a queen size quilt with large scallop shell appliques on a white background with tuquoise strips marking the blocks. I liked the pattern and no one told me that it was a challenge to do. I found getting those darn strips straight was the biggest challenge! It came out great and my grandson loves it. I also drew lighthouses in the blank blocks and quilted themin colored threads. This was destined for a Florida address so it all made sense to me. I must of been really nuts to try but after that, nothing else bothered me.

Hi. Lots of ideas about this. When I want to square up a large piece (such as the corner of a quilt), I use my largest cutting mat and mark the fabric with chalk.

Blog Entries
    that looks great, the material anyway!

I LOVE bindings! I've come up with 7 different and unique ways to do them but writing a book doesn't interest me. 978Gray, send your quilts to me!

Blog Entries
    Thanks! I feel like such a goof-I get straight, but my squares always lean.......sigh. I will try this!

Blog Entries
    Do a tutorial? Me? Eeeks! I'll try. I have grandkids staying with me this week so I will try to do it next week. Oh, dear. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dix
    please do a tutorial for us on how you do your bindings and add it to the tutorial section, please , please

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaO
    I have a way of doing quick binding that still looks good. Not as 'perfect' as hand stitching but I think it turns out pretty neat. I can try and describe it to you if you're interested. I'm sure it's not new and you might have already tried it and it doesn't work for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by 978gray
    Bindings!!!! I hate bindings and that phobia keeps me from finishing quilts or if one wants to put it in other terms creating more UFOs. :lol:
    If you will go to Missouri Star Quilt, they have good tutorials on bindings.

everything...I am pathetic. I try so hard, buy all the notions people reccommend, watch videos, read magazines, and I still dont see improvement!

Bindings!!!! I hate bindings and that phobia keeps me from finishing quilts or if one wants to put it in other terms creating more UFOs. :lol:
    same here WOW I am not alone with this phobia :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Anyone got a suggestion for this one? I pick my fabric for my stash but not really with a pattern in mind. Then I find a pattern I like but can't decide if it would look good with my stash stuff or if I need to go buy more fabric. How do you decide which fabric to use in which pattern? Or am I making this too complicated?

Blog Entries
    please do a tutorial for us on how you do your bindings and add it to the tutorial section, please , please

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaO
    I have a way of doing quick binding that still looks good. Not as 'perfect' as hand stitching but I think it turns out pretty neat. I can try and describe it to you if you're interested. I'm sure it's not new and you might have already tried it and it doesn't work for you.
    It took a couple of weeks, but I did it. I posted my first tutorial. I hope it makes sense.....Thanks for the encouragement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4