Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What thread and needle do you use when you hand applique? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-thread-needle-do-you-use-when-you-hand-applique-t58174.html)

roselady 08-06-2010 06:57 PM

I like Richard Hemmings milliners neeles, also. Size 11 is very thin, which is what I like to applique. Superior threads "Masterpiece" is a very thin thread that disappears as you stitch. I also use Mettler 60 weight, very thin also. I want to try DMC someday. Superior makes a "frosted donut" that has all their colors of Masterpiece in bobbins and a holder for them. It is great, I often use lots of colors in applique, but I don't need big spools of it, nor the expense.

craftybear 08-06-2010 07:31 PM

they really didn't know

Originally Posted by sharon b
Just curious ... what did the store suggest ?

sharon b 08-06-2010 07:39 PM

What are you making ?

shequilts 08-06-2010 07:40 PM

[quote=craftybear]where do you find Richard Hemming and son needles at?

I buy them at my LQS. I have bought them other places, so they aren't unique. However, you won't find them at JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart, etc. The YLI thread is silk, I don't know if I told you that or not.
If you can't find the needles, let me know. I'll send you a pack.
Karen

amma 08-06-2010 09:00 PM

Are you doing needle turned applique? I love to see pictures of these quilts :D:D:D

Hinterland 08-07-2010 03:41 AM

I use silk thread, which I buy in neutral colors - it blends in and is practically invisible. For needles, I use either sharps or straws, depending on how I feel.

In the past, I've used Coats and Clarks, cotton floss, and 60 weight cotton. If you match the color of the thread to the applique the stitches will still be hard to see, which is what you want...unless you're doing the button hole stitch. For that, I've used hand quilting thread and cotton floss. I think a lot of quilters use pearl cotton for the buttonhole stitch, too.

You can find silk thread online - I think Keepsake Quilting has it, among others. My local shop didn't carry it for a long time, and now they only carry a few colors. It is expensive, but a spool lasts a real long time.

salmonsweet 08-07-2010 03:48 AM

No. 9 or 10 straw (milliner's) needles and Aurifil thread.

gollytwo 08-07-2010 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
What thread do you use when you hand applique? What needle do you use?
Thanks everyone.

For hand applique I use Superior Threads' Bottom Line, usually pale green, never shows.
As to needles, I use whatever's handy: sharps or betweens.
No rules - I use the same thread and needles for piecing, applique and quilting.

LindaR 08-07-2010 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
What thread do you use when you hand applique? What needle do you use?

Thanks everyone.

my favorite is aurfil and I use mettler 60/2 also...don't use silk finish but I know others do...www.pacificrim.com carries aurifil and their shipping is only 2.95

Bam 08-07-2010 06:52 AM

I use YLI silk thread with a #10 Bohn milliners needle. The eye of the needle doesn't wear the thread as much as the other brand of needles, therefore, you can use a longer strand of thread and does not pull out of the eye as much.