Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What type of border would you put on this (it is an Omigosh quilt)? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-type-border-would-you-put-omigosh-quilt-t214865.html)

MadQuilter 02-27-2013 05:27 PM

I'd agree with the white border idea. It's such a lovely quilt, you want to showcase your colorful bits.

alikat110 02-27-2013 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5888530)
One more ... I kinda like this too. I put a 4" white border then a series of 1" different colored stripped borders followed by a 4" white border. I like the frame. While I like the look ... the thought of 80" long 1" strips frightens me!!!

This is almost exactly what I described above...I just envisioned pieced stripes going around twice and a wider outer border. Now that I se youe version it reinforces my thinking that this would be beautiful. Thanks for the visual!!!!

sailsablazin 02-27-2013 06:02 PM

Maybe I am a little different,,,but I would not use white. I would bring in one of the colors that you used to make it POP! Also I think that a piano key border would detract from all of those tiny squares. It would overtake the quilt in my humble opinion.. Now, mind you, I have only quilted for a year or so....

Love it !!

Friday1961 02-27-2013 06:16 PM

I would use aqua, if it's a favorite, or that dark green. Something bold to counteract the white and solid to counteract the busy-ness of the blocks and the whole quilt.

gramajo 02-27-2013 06:16 PM

If you decide not to go with a white or pieced border, I like the lavender Rose_P suggested in post #108. The color is soft and allows the beautiful center to 'show off' without overwhelming it. In fact, I think it shows off the center better than white would. My favorite, though, is still DogHouseMom's third one in post #21.

JBeamer 02-27-2013 07:56 PM

To add one more idea...you could have thin one inch borders in either 3 or 5 different colors from the quilt, each alternating with a thin white border inbetween. Kind of a rainbow of colors broken up with the white borders. Then finish with a white binding. To add even more suggestions...you could make each color of the borders different widths alternating with each of the white strips all the same width. Good luck. Just keep on making such beautiful quilts. And don't forget to post the final result.

TammyB 02-27-2013 09:35 PM

I think the quilt is busy so I would do a skinny (1 1/2 inch finished) white border next so that the blocks "float." Then a solid or a Moda dark (red or blue) marble. Good luck. Fantastic quilt!

leggz48 02-27-2013 09:38 PM

Someone may have already suggested this, but I'll go ahead and throw it out there...have you thought about using all the colors in pieces end-to-end for a narrow border, then follow up with a wider white border. I did a multi-colored quilt and put the binding together with all the colors end-to-end. It continues to get great reviews. Be sure to post a pic when finished.

champagnebubbles 02-27-2013 11:12 PM

I was just reading Quilt without boarders! I think that might be the way to go??

Cathou 02-28-2013 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cathou (Post 5892598)
I would like to find a superlative not used yet to describe how beautiful-of-this-world your quilt is but with 104 posts(and counting) for this thread and 260 for the other one I'm afraid everything was said. Oh! I have one: MAGNIFIQUE! I'm so impressed by your work and can't believe that you are a newbie. Do I see right? The little little little four patch in the shoofly is surrounded by 4 little little little triangles? Weren't they hard to sew? That is quite challenging.

I'll be watching you and I vote for Dunster idea of continuing the 9 patch into the border.

I meant beautiful-out-of-this-world!!!

Just read your post 102, can I change my vote?!?!? No border and a multicolor binding. That's it! Bing bang thank you m'am! hihihi