Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What will we all do??????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-will-we-all-do-t91173.html)

gypsylady5 01-17-2011 04:44 PM

I planned for this and bought everything I could afford years ago. Now I'm trying to destash myself and don't think I'll make it. If pressed, I might go to the thrift stores and look for good clothing to cut up. It has to be a really special project for me to buy fabric at todays prices. Thank God for forsight!

mjmcafee 01-17-2011 05:15 PM

Went to the Thrift Store today, they were having a 50% off sale on everything in honor of MLK Jr day. I found 3 bags of material that cost me less than $3 after the discount. When I got home with it and opened the bags I not only had the material but it looks like it is a kit for a Mexican Star Quilt top and one of the pieces of material is the muslim for the backing too.

Rettie V. Grama 01-17-2011 05:18 PM

Yes, go to Goodwill, Salvation Army or any thrift store that handles misc. items. I have purchased beautiful fabric at Salvation Army. Just the other day, I went to salvation army looking for a certain cooking utensil, found it. Looked at other things and saw some little girl dresses that had never been worn, still had store tags attached. Did I buy? No, I promised my son when I moved into my apartment a month ago that I would reduce my stasch and I'm doing it. And, yes, it has gone down, but not that he could see. Good luck in your search. You also can find beautiful fabric in the men's department, especially solids. I bought at one time a few years ago, 4 shirts that still had the laundry creases and were like new.

IBQUILTIN 01-17-2011 05:25 PM

I wonder how many stash swaps we will wind up with in order to get the colors or textures we need from one another for less money. I have quite a bit of stash that I was planning on selling off, but think I may hold onto it and either swap or use it up myself. Many quilts from same fabrics wouldn't be bad if they go to different people. would they?

SittingPretty 01-17-2011 05:40 PM

Oh, my. And to think I remember when it was 29 cents a yard! (OH, no. Now I'm REALLY aging myself!!!!!)

penski 01-17-2011 05:41 PM

that gives me another good reason to build up my stash

craftymatt2 01-17-2011 05:54 PM

Well, lucky for me I have a huge stash, the problem is I found a quilt shop that has the most beautiful fabrics, not many patterns, but lots of fabric. Small prints, medium prints,large prints and lots of color choices. So hard to decide.

haylillan 01-17-2011 06:04 PM

we may have to make our clothes with our stash

Dee 01-17-2011 06:17 PM

I figure we'll all manage somehow. We always do.

cpfrog 01-17-2011 06:17 PM

Goodwill and reusing our ol' clothes is fine IF they are cotton. I know quilts are made of other materials... so how much are blends and synthetics going to be at the fabric stores???? Can you still get flour in sacks???? HAhaha (or not so funny.)

Bet we take care of what we do have. Quilts are getting more precious!!!