Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What will we all do???????

I was reading this morning that cotton is going up by 80%. I cant even imagine how i will be able to afford my fabric shopping. I was thinking about going to the Goodwill, etc. and looking for skirts that have a lot of fabric in them. What will we all do? Cheryl

Blog Entries
    We'll have to deplete our stashes. Yikes!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PegD
    That could take a while.

The same thing that our Grandmas did....use up scraps...

That could be a problem for those who, like me, don't really have stashes. Sure, I had to pick THIS year to get stained glass quilts going. lol

Most all fashioned threads tend to come back and using used clothing may be our last resource, at least until this country recovers.

I Haven't bought a lot of fabric the past couple years. When fabric got to be $10 a yard and $11 a yard. I feel the fabric company will price themselves out of business.. If I do buy fabric it will be when a shop has it on sale for more then 15 % off.

We're already paying a lot more for fabric than we used to do; we'll adjust this time, too. I don't have much of a stash but I plan to use it well this year and only buy what I need.

I'm also returning to hand piecing - it's slowing me down considerably but I'm still enjoying the heck out of myself. Truth be told I'm starting to prefer it to machine piecing, plus I'll save a ton just by decreasing my output.

so, fabric is $10 per yard and gas will be $5 per gal. we will have to walk to the nearest lqs with the best sale, i guess. may have to buy a wagon and teach my dog to mush. considering he only weighs 20 lbs and i weigh a "bit" more, it might be wishful thinking.

80%? are you sure, that is huge! Good thing I got a stash! Also, not much time to do sew, so for once it works in my favor!

Use up my stash and clean out closets!!!

Scraps and stash!

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    80%? are you sure, that is huge! Good thing I got a stash! Also, not much time to do sew, so for once it works in my favor!
    Yep............it said 80%. I dont have much of a stash.......so i'm bummed.

I do not have much of a stash at all. I can hardly afford material as it is. This will be hard on me. I might have to start using clothing from goodwill.

Well that's a shame...Although I could probably make quilts til I'm 150yrs old from my stash..SHHHH don't tell on me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pdcakm
    so, fabric is $10 per yard and gas will be $5 per gal. we will have to walk to the nearest lqs with the best sale, i guess. may have to buy a wagon and teach my dog to mush. considering he only weighs 20 lbs and i weigh a "bit" more, it might be wishful thinking.
    Mine is eight pounds. I would need a whole team to pull me...
    Could get a bike, but hopefully we don't live where they want to require license plates and register it like vehicles.

Seriously though, how many places will go out of business if this happens???

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laureneberhard
    Well that's a shame...Although I could probably make quilts til I'm 150yrs old from my stash..SHHHH don't tell on me.
    I'm right there with you :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Quote Originally Posted by pdcakm
    Mine is eight pounds. I would need a whole team to pull me...
    Could get a bike, but hopefully we don't live where they want to require license plates and register it like vehicles.

Seriously though, how many places will go out of business if this happens???
    I agree, will be tough on businesses as well as us!

Having heard about the price increase, I have bought a lot of fabric in recent months to hold me for awhile.... plus I do sew a lot of scrap quilt tops, anyway sounds like this would be a good year to learn to quilt on my machine, with all of the tops I have stored away this could keep me busy for a long, long time

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119
    That could take a while.
    Quite a while! :thumbup:

just thing what that is going to do to the price of clothing, etc!

I've just recently stocked up....and just bought a whole roll of batting with a Joann's 50% off coupon. Makes it a little less than $5 a yard (for 90 inches wide). Luckily I have a basement storage room to put it in.

But I am going to keep stocking as I find sales. And use Hancocks and Joanns coupons as much as I can.

There's a recent article on Reuters about cotton prices
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1234868120110112

I ordered some Moda swirl from my LQS just after thanksgiving and it was $.50 more a yard because it would come in after 12/1...they were increasing all the fabric prices by that after 12/1.

Start using up some of what I have here. I need to do that anyway. Would hate to think that some day(when I ain't here) someone bought it all for a few bucks.

I use a lot of sheets, they are 50/50 polyester/cotton. The 200 count flat twin size ones are $4.00 at W_M You get a lot of material in one of them and they come in many colors and stripes also. They have better quality ones too, but I read where 200 count was better for quilting.And the good thing, if you use them for backing there should be no seams.

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    I'm going to do the same: stock up on things that I don't have. I hope to buy a roll of batting and more muslin for backing. I'm pretty good on fabric and thread. I guess I'll also have to start sewing my own clothing again. (I enjoyed it before putting on weight.) Guess I should look at the patterns I have. I'm sure some will fit. Thank goodness the companies started including several sizes in one envelope years ago. I haven't bought any clothing patterns in a while except for little girls' patterns. I had only boys, so I bought girl patterns for the first time about 10 years ago. Haven't sewn for myself since.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast