Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What will we all do??????? >

What will we all do???????

What will we all do???????

Old 01-16-2011, 07:27 PM

just thing what that is going to do to the price of clothing, etc!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM

I've just recently stocked up....and just bought a whole roll of batting with a Joann's 50% off coupon. Makes it a little less than $5 a yard (for 90 inches wide). Luckily I have a basement storage room to put it in.

But I am going to keep stocking as I find sales. And use Hancocks and Joanns coupons as much as I can.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:31 PM

There's a recent article on Reuters about cotton prices
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1234868120110112

I ordered some Moda swirl from my LQS just after thanksgiving and it was $.50 more a yard because it would come in after 12/1...they were increasing all the fabric prices by that after 12/1.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:34 PM

Start using up some of what I have here. I need to do that anyway. Would hate to think that some day(when I ain't here) someone bought it all for a few bucks.

I use a lot of sheets, they are 50/50 polyester/cotton. The 200 count flat twin size ones are $4.00 at W_M You get a lot of material in one of them and they come in many colors and stripes also. They have better quality ones too, but I read where 200 count was better for quilting.And the good thing, if you use them for backing there should be no seams.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 PM

I'm going to do the same: stock up on things that I don't have. I hope to buy a roll of batting and more muslin for backing. I'm pretty good on fabric and thread. I guess I'll also have to start sewing my own clothing again. (I enjoyed it before putting on weight.) Guess I should look at the patterns I have. I'm sure some will fit. Thank goodness the companies started including several sizes in one envelope years ago. I haven't bought any clothing patterns in a while except for little girls' patterns. I had only boys, so I bought girl patterns for the first time about 10 years ago. Haven't sewn for myself since.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Stash busting. To be honest, this past year has been a very difficult one for my husband and me, financially (we own a small business), so I have been using almost exclusively stash for a while, now. Quilting has been a huge stress reliever and I will find a way to keep quilting! Luckily, I also enjoy making scrap quilts and I am teaching myself the "Quilt As You Go" method. We have to find a way to keep quilting, right?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM

We'll just all have to buy from each other's stashes here on the board!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:37 PM

so, not only is the price of cotton and batting going up along with all the notions, so is the postage to get the web sales to you. am browsing for sales now, stash building, but will really watch for sales and free shipping [if they still offer this perk then] when all the price increases go into effect.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:37 PM

well, rats, tried to get rid of this twice-posted post, but it didn't work. the powers that be did not like empty boxes
Old 01-16-2011, 09:46 PM

Periodically a thrift store near me has a all the cloths you can fit in a bag - $5 bag sale. It is amazing what you can find.