Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What will we all do??????? >

What will we all do???????

What will we all do???????

Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 AM

I've always done lots of things mentioned,from using off white cone thread for piecing & quilting,making scrap quilts,use stash 1st & only buy fabric at steep sale prices.Never buy backing from a LQS.....will use whatever, from sheets to cheapest muslin(washed & dried a couple times),batting & flannel bought by the bolt,with 50% off coupon.Use flannel for backing & batting for wall hangings/sofa throws.

Seldom make bed size quilts.Out of space & that alone saves me a lot of $$.Buy all notions with coupons at Joanns.Use patterns found on line.It's not hard ....as I've been doing this for many yrs,2nd nature by now.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:44 AM

so, fabric is $10 per yard and gas will be $5 per gal. we will have to walk to the nearest lqs with the best sale, i guess. may have to buy a wagon and teach my dog to mush. considering he only weighs 20 lbs and i weigh a "bit" more, it might be wishful thinking.

My though exactly!!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:51 AM

Just had a thought--we will be able to retire by selling our stashes. giggle
Old 01-17-2011, 05:00 AM

Our local second-hand shop has a bag sale on clothes the first week of the month. They charge $5 for the bag -which is a kitchen sized garbage bag- and you stuff it full. Then there is another second-hand shop about 45 minutes away which has a $3 bag sale on clothes (plastic grocery bag sized, but they are good about really stuffing it full) every day. Also Salvation Army in our area has 1/2 price days every Wednesday. Local churches
have rummage sales and usually want to get rid of whatever hasn't sold on the second day; guess what? Bag sale! Usually last few hours of the sale. I have gotten some absolutely beautiful fabrics this way, while keeping my constantly-growing son in pants that fit!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
Just had a thought--we will be able to retire by selling our stashes. giggle
"But honey, I need this fabric, it's our retirement fund..."
Old 01-17-2011, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I guess lots of rummage sales, thrift stores and scrappy quilts!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:25 AM

My LQS is still below $10 and I get 15% off just for being in a guild. Also, this month if we buy something (other than magazines) she lets us throw a die and whatever comes up x 10 is our discount. I got 50% the other day. Next month she will give 30% off to anyone who brings a friend to the shop - that is 30% for each of us. In March she will do buy one, get one 40% off.

April is Shop Hop Month in Maine. Don't know what her specials will be then.

She is really trying to help us and we will be faithful to her because of it!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:59 AM

I buy most of my fabric at LQS because they are so good at helping me pick colors. My favorite shop NEVER has a sale. I may have to go to Joanne's , buy on sale and hope I get better at picking colors. I might have to try more difficult projects so they take me longer to finish.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 AM

I'm going to take my time piecing and enjoy every minute! I'm a new quilter too and do not have much of a stash :(
Old 01-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Banned

Our LQS usually has sales 3-4 times a year with 30% off. Will have to have my ducks in a row and buy then. Of course I hae a lot of stash and kits I can make. Have enough for a lifetime plus.But I still will need backings. That is what I usually buy at sales. Will also look for sales and free shipping online.